Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 13 Feb '09 14:31
    Once you are out of book, what percentage of the time is your first thought the best move?

    I play my first thought pretty much all the time. I'm thinking this is a bad habit.
  2. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    13 Feb '09 16:34
    Yes. You should at least have a second thought
  3. 13 Feb '09 17:02
    It would be nice to have that second thought before the blunder, not after!!!

    How many positions do you usually consider in a typical middle game position?
  4. Standard member Alzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    13 Feb '09 17:12
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It would be nice to have that second thought before the blunder, not after!!!

    How many positions do you usually consider in a typical middle game position?
    Well, define a typical middle game position for you?
    Then is the position tactical or mor positional?

    To your question: Obviously it depends on the position. You can't really say that I consider x moves and then start calculating.
    Fortunately I get similar positions as black or with white. So that makes it easier to find the good moves.
  5. 13 Feb '09 18:05
    From what I understand, you have to check the board before you can determine if you are going to make a tactical or strategic move. I typically do this, but without looking at the entire board. Something catches my eye and I go with it.

    This question has come to mind now that I'm spending time working the Chess Tactics Server. Sometimes that only way I solve a problem is to say "what can I do". This usually means looking at three or more pieces and imagining the new position.
  6. 13 Feb '09 18:12
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Once you are out of book, what percentage of the time is your first thought the best move?

    I play my first thought pretty much all the time. I'm thinking this is a bad habit.
    yes this happens to me, i make my move, send it, go away and think about it in my head, realize it was not very good or more often a blunder, hope my opponent does not notice it (they always do), come back and do the same thing again!, gulp!
  7. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    13 Feb '09 18:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    From what I understand, you have to check the board before you can determine if you are going to make a tactical or strategic move. I typically do this, but without looking at the entire board. Something catches my eye and I go with it.

    This question has come to mind now that I'm spending time working the Chess Tactics Server. Sometimes that only way I an I do". This usually means looking at three or more pieces and imagining the new position.
    You can save yourself so much trouble by simple blunder check. 1600 players, for example still do those notorious blunders pretty often, so just stay alerted, examine every check, hanging, undefended pieces for both side before every move. I know that it's easier to say then actually do that constantly but it's simple and saves you a lot of trouble and adds at least 200-300 points.

    As for candidate moves, find at least some alternatives to your first thought, think a bit and pick what you think is the best move. Before you click on submit button, check for blunders (you will find it very often)
  8. 17 Feb '09 23:15
    the really good players probably do find that their first thought is the best move - after playing lots of chess, your subconscious gets better and better at spotting the strong moves and eliminating the weaker ones.

    But this usually requires lots and lots of chess....those of us who haven't put in their 10,000 hours find that the first thought often leads into traps, fork-checks, and other unseen threats...