What is a spectrum emulator?
    Apparently, this:

http://www.spectaculator.com/
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '12 19:201 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    talzamir is right. If no symbol is placed between digits, they read as a single number. But I'm not sure why that's ambiguous - what would you do with the numbers with no symbol between them if they are distinct numbers and not just digits? For example, what does the expression 1 2 3 = 2002 even mean?
    The instruction said "place + or * (plus or multiply) symbols as needed between the digits on the left side". There are 9 digits on the LHS. On the other hand, 123, for example, is not a digit. The way I chose to analyze it, this requires separating the 9 digits with 8 operators, as in 1*2+3+4*5*6*7*8+9. There would be no "1 2 3" to assign meaning to. But it's your puzzle, and a good one too. Your specification stands.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Jun '12 10:56
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Apparently, this:

http://www.spectaculator.com/
    Or, for more and better choice, almost all of which is free:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/emulators.html

For under Windows, I personally prefer ZX Spin, but it's very much a matter of taste.

Richard
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Jun '12 10:58
    Originally posted by JS357
    The instruction said "place + or * (plus or multiply) symbols as needed between the digits on the left side". There are 9 digits on the LHS. On the other hand, 123, for example, is not a digit. The way I chose to analyze it, this requires separating the 9 digits with 8 operators, as in 1*2+3+4*5*6*7*8+9. There would be no "1 2 3" to assign meaning to. But it's your puzzle, and a good one too. Your specification stands.
    Moreover, with your specification, there is no solution. Therefore, his specification is the correct one by necessity as well as by origin.

Richard
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jun '12 22:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is a spectrum emulator?
    1. Captain Scarlet's alter ego.

2. A glass prism.

3. A Time Machine. (Backwards only)
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jun '12 15:08
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    1. Captain Scarlet's alter ego.

2. A glass prism.

3. A Time Machine. (Backwards only)
    I was just trying to figure out how that would have helped him find a solution.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '12 15:37
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Moreover, with your specification, there is no solution. Therefore, his specification is the correct one by necessity as well as by origin.

Richard
    I believe you are correct about there being no solutions using my specification.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 16:50
    Originally posted by JS357
    I believe you are correct about there being no solutions using my specification.
    I know I am. I brute-forced this one (see upthread), and the only two answers that came up required multi-digit numbers.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree