1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 10:101 edit
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    so the lines intersect at infinity?
    I don't think I'm saying that (to be honest, geometry is not my strength and I wouldn't know how to define properly intersections at infinity). I'm saying that cardinality relations are not "continuous" in the way you describe (i.e. the cardinality of the limit is not necessarily the limit of cardinalities). The example with natural and even numbers highlights this.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 10:21
    Possibly the problem lies in the difference between "the same cardinality" and equality?

And the problem with the balls in the bag being zero is that infinity-infinity=infinity?
    Yes, I think this is key. But note that "same cardinality" is not enough. The operations with the bags must reflect the one-to-one correspondence (i.e. for any ball we must be sure it is guaranteed to leave the bag at some point).
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 16:52
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I don't think I'm saying that (to be honest, geometry is not my strength and I wouldn't know how to define properly intersections at infinity). I'm saying that cardinality relations are not "continuous" in the way you describe (i.e. the cardinality of the limit is not necessarily the limit of cardinalities). The example with natural and even numbers highlights this.
    I think parallel lines intersect at infinity.
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 21:34
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I think parallel lines intersect at infinity.
    Yes, but we have diverging lines here, and these are generally thought to not intersect at infinity.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 09:41
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    But I do have to say that this apparently simple problem really is head spinner. I'll post on some reputable mathematical blogs and see what the big shots answers will be.
    Any luck?

What are those blogs, by the way?
  6. Joined
    30 Jun '10
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 16:55
    adds 1 and 2 ballcount= 2
    adds 3 and 4 ballcount= 4
    removes 1 ballcount= 3
    adds 5 and 6 ballcount= 5
    removes 2 ballcount= 4
    adds 7 and 8 ballcount= 6
    removes 3 ballcount= 5
    adds 9 and 10 ballcount= 7

as you can see, the ballcount approches infinity as the number of actions go up, and the number of actions are related to the time endured. therefore as time goes on the number of balls in the bag will increase and approach infinity as infinite actions are performed
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 17:16
    Originally posted by Klasker
    adds 1 and 2 ballcount= 2
    adds 3 and 4 ballcount= 4
    removes 1 ballcount= 3
    adds 5 and 6 ballcount= 5
    removes 2 ballcount= 4
    adds 7 and 8 ballcount= 6
    removes 3 ballcount= 5
    adds 9 and 10 ballcount= 7

as you can see, the ballcount approches infinity as the number of actions go up, and the number of actions are related to the time endured. therefore ...[text shortened]... number of balls in the bag will increase and approach infinity as infinite actions are performed
    Wow, Klasker can count!

But can he read (the thread)?
  8. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    23 Dec '10 15:162 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Wow, Klasker can count!

But can he read (the thread)?
    Klaster is right.

Additionally, because the sets of added balls and removed balls are provably the same order of infinity infinity, and infinity-infinity = infinity (if they are the same order, and one is growing twice as fast as the other), there are an infinite balls in the bag.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/math99/math99191.htm
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Dec '10 16:201 edit
    Klaster is right.

Additionally, because the sets of added balls and removed balls are provably the same order of infinity infinity, and infinity-infinity = infinity (if they are the same order, and one is growing twice as fast as the other), there are an infinite balls in the bag.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/math99/math99191.htm
    Infinity is the only answer that leads to a contradiction. You can either chose "None" or "Supertasks are impossible so there is no defined answer". "Infinity" is, however, wrong.

Nice link. No idea why it's relevant, though. At no point is an operation "infinity-infinity" needed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree