Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    15625
    14 Mar '06 22:27
    I recently browsed a game between two of my former and current opponents and noticed this position after move 35.

    White's move was to take the Rook at b2. It cost him the game; too bad he didn't see the better (and winning) move.



    Javasnob2
  2. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    63101
    14 Mar '06 22:41
    Originally posted by Javasnob2
    I recently browsed a game between two of my former and current opponents and noticed this position after move 35.

    White's move was to take the Rook at b2. It cost him the game; too bad he didn't see the better (and winning) move.

    [fen]8/3Q3P/r2p1pk1/2p1p1p1/p1P2q2/P7/1r1R1P2/2K4R[/fen]

    Javasnob2
    Rh6+ ... Kxh6
    h8=Q+ ... Kg6
    Qh7++
  3. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Joined
    14 Feb '04
    Moves
    28719
    14 Mar '06 23:51
    Originally posted by richjohnson
    Rh6+ ... Kxh6
    h8=Q+ ... Kg6
    Qh7++
    That works, but 1.h8=N++ is faster.
  4. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    15625
    14 Mar '06 23:53
    Good one! Although that wasn't the line I had in mind.

    What about h8=N#?
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Joined
    14 Feb '04
    Moves
    28719
    15 Mar '06 00:15
    Originally posted by Javasnob2
    Good one! Although that wasn't the line I had in mind.

    What about h8=N#?
    Oops, wrong notation. I meant "checkmate", as you pointed out.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    6500
    19 Mar '06 03:32
    H8=N# is not the move I spotted - like someone else i spotted the Rook-Sac

    But both conclusions are Valid...Simply becuase they both FORCE MATE....

    But i find it rather funny - I was able to work out the forced mate (starting with the rook-sac), a 5 move sequence, but COMPLETLY Missed h8=N
  7. Standard memberblackmanrook
    defender of the caro
    chicago
    Joined
    27 Jan '06
    Moves
    15474
    28 Mar '06 00:20
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    H8=N# is not the move I spotted - like someone else i spotted the Rook-Sac

    But both conclusions are Valid...Simply becuase they both FORCE MATE....

    But i find it rather funny - I was able to work out the forced mate (starting with the rook-sac), a 5 move sequence, but COMPLETLY Missed h8=N
    because the rook sac look pretty it was easier for you to see.
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    6500
    06 Apr '06 18:04
    Originally posted by blackmanrook
    because the rook sac look pretty it was easier for you to see.
    It probably has more to do with the way i think....

    when I see a pawn close to promotion the first thought is "hey! a new Queen".... it never occurs to me to promote to a knight....
  9. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Joined
    17 Mar '05
    Moves
    1345
    06 Apr '06 22:46
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    But i find it rather funny - I was able to work out the forced mate (starting with the rook-sac), a 5 move sequence, but COMPLETLY Missed h8=N
    War is war, loser.
  10. In your face
    Joined
    21 Aug '04
    Moves
    55993
    08 Apr '06 23:411 edit
    Originally posted by Javasnob2
    I recently browsed a game between two of my former and current opponents and noticed this position after move 35.

    White's move was to take the Rook at b2. It cost him the game; too bad he didn't see the better (and winning) move.

    [fen]8/3Q3P/r2p1pk1/2p1p1p1/p1P2q2/P7/1r1R1P2/2K4R[/fen]

    Javasnob2
    How's about

    Q h6 check K g7
    Q g8 checkmate

    EDIT whoops missed K f5 😳
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    6500
    12 Apr '06 00:36
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    War is war, loser.
    and that is supposed to mean what exactly??
  12. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    12 Apr '06 00:53
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    and that is supposed to mean what exactly??
    Don't worry, it is the pithy one liner insult king. Just ignore it, if you don't it only encourages it.
    Well at least I saw the one mover first. Didn't look further than that.
Back to Top