31 May '09 22:26
    Originally posted by blacknight1985
    so it seems my manual calculation is right...😀
    Any of you guys ever heard of a TI-83?....🙂
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 04:59
    I've seen people knowing how to work with calculators, producing approximations. But noone yet producing an answer. Isn't there any?
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 10:352 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I've seen people knowing how to work with calculators, producing approximations. But noone yet producing an answer. Isn't there any?
    Let me try to "show" there probably isn't:

arctan(x) = 1/(2x)
    tan(arctan(x) = tan(1/(2x))
    x = tan(1/(2x))

From Lindemann-Weierstrass we know that the tangent of any non-zero algebraic number is transcendental, so if x was algebraic then 1/2x is algebraic and therefore tan(1/(2x))=x should be transcendental, so we get a contradiction.

x must then be transcendental and we can easily check that it's not a multiple of Pi.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 18:371 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Let me try to "show" there probably isn't:

arctan(x) = 1/(2x)
    tan(arctan(x) = tan(1/(2x))
    x = tan(1/(2x))

From Lindemann-Weierstrass we know that the tangent of any non-zero algebraic number is transcendental, so if x was algebraic then 1/2x is algebraic and therefore tan(1/(2x))=x should be transcendental, so we get a contradiction.

x must then be transcendental and we can easily check that it's not a multiple of Pi.
    Good explanation!

So to find the solution of the problem, numerical methods can be our only tool? An approximation can be the only answer?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 19:031 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Good explanation!

So to find the solution of the problem, numerical methods can be our only tool? An approximation can be the only answer?
    I can't say. 😀

I only proved x is transcendental, but the answer could be a multiple of another transcendental number or a log or...

Although the nature of the tangent I would expect that unless it is a multiple of Pi, then probably numerical methods are the only tool.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree