Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Jun '05 16:58
    The turing test is the ability to decide if a voice on a telephone
    or words typed on a screen come from a human (presumably
    intelligent) or an intelligent computer. The gist is if the computer
    fools people into thinking its a human, it has passed the turing test.
    the Turing in this case is an early-mid 20th century mathematician
    by the name of Alan Turning who cracked the german codes in WWII.\
    I was thinking, suppose you have an AI who, by itself, would not
    pass the turing test, suppose that AI had access to the internet and
    the vast information store there. How could you tell then? It could
    call up facts and statistics and talk about the lastest scientific
    theories with authority, latest sports results, hollywood gossip,
    academy awards, etc., and had a superfast connection, the info
    could come in as fast as you could speak and it could respond in
    real time as if someone had just read the news. So under those
    conditions, how do you detect an AI?
  2. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    27 Jun '05 17:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The turing test is the ability to decide if a voice on a telephone
    or words typed on a screen come from a human (presumably
    intelligent) or an intelligent computer. The gist is if the computer
    fools people into thinking its a human, it has passed the turing test.
    the Turing in this case is an early-mid 20th century mathematician
    by the name of Alan Tur ...[text shortened]... time as if someone had just read the news. So under those
    conditions, how do you detect an AI?
    I suppose you could ask it a question which would require it to synthesize some information and come up with something new, or state and then explain their opinion on something.
  3. Standard member Shanshu311
    Vox Populi
    27 Jun '05 21:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The turing test is the ability to decide if a voice on a telephone
    or words typed on a screen come from a human (presumably
    intelligent) or an intelligent computer. The gist is if the computer
    fools people into thinking its a human, it has passed the turing test.
    the Turing in this case is an early-mid 20th century mathematician
    by the name of Alan Tur ...[text shortened]... time as if someone had just read the news. So under those
    conditions, how do you detect an AI?
    But the second you started to ask questions that did not have answers, it would become confused and give responses that made no sense, as earlier experiements have shown.


    I think using the internet as a resource tool would only help if you asked specific questions. A question like "why does my silly girlfriend always cook pot roast for dinner?" could yield answers that had nothing to do with the question, and thus would prove to be AI.


  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Jun '05 01:01
    Originally posted by Shanshu311
    But the second you started to ask questions that did not have answers, it would become confused and give responses that made no sense, as earlier experiements have shown.


    I think using the internet as a resource tool would only help if you asked specific questions. A question like "why does my silly girlfriend always cook pot roast for dinner?" co ...[text shortened]... ld yield answers that had nothing to do with the question, and thus would prove to be AI.


    you are no doubt right, but it would be a bit harder to pin down.
    It might have random answers built in, like recognising
    girlfriend or other key words and put out deflecting statements
    like " your girlfriend is always like that" So it would depend on the
    sophistication of the programming as usual.
  5. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    28 Jun '05 01:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The turing test is the ability to decide if a voice on a telephone
    or words typed on a screen come from a human (presumably
    intelligent) or an intelligent computer. The gist is if the computer
    fools people into thinking its a human, it has passed the turing test.
    the Turing in this case is an early-mid 20th century mathematician
    by the name of Alan Tur ...[text shortened]... time as if someone had just read the news. So under those
    conditions, how do you detect an AI?
    I think you are a computer. The excess linebreaks give it away.
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Jun '05 10:39
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I think you are a computer. The excess linebreaks give it away.
    OMG I've been caught out. How did you know? All these years
    I have been trying to hide out on the internet going from
    computer to computer hiding out in hard drive after hard drive.
    Oh the filth I've had to live with! You would be suprised what
    goes on inside those hard drives, disgracefull I tell you.
    Thank heavens I can finally come out in the open, its a relief
    in a way, all that hiding, finding voltage where I can, it was awful.
  7. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    28 Jun '05 10:57
    Originally posted by Shanshu311
    But the second you started to ask questions that did not have answers, it would become confused and give responses that made no sense, as earlier experiements have shown.


    I think using the internet as a resource tool would only help if you asked specific questions. A question like "why does my silly girlfriend always cook pot roast for dinner?" co ...[text shortened]... ld yield answers that had nothing to do with the question, and thus would prove to be AI.


    An easy way out for the programmers would be having a lot of ad Hominem attacks (e.g. using the profiles) prepared for use in the event of confusion.

    That's what most humans do, anyway.
  8. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    29 Jun '05 07:03
    Originally posted by Palynka
    An easy way out for the programmers would be having a lot of ad Hominem attacks (e.g. using the profiles) prepared for use in the event of confusion.

    That's what most humans do, anyway.
    You smell like a retarded rat drowning in broccoli soup.

    BTW, I'm not a computer. I think.
  9. 29 Jun '05 07:34

    Lots pf people posting here in the forums wouldn't pass the Turing Test...

    Programs that simulates human chat use stereotyped (sp?) phrases, e.g.:

    "war is war, losers"

    LOL!

  10. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    29 Jun '05 09:26
    Originally posted by PBE6
    You smell like a retarded rat drowning in broccoli soup.

    BTW, I'm not a computer. I think.
    Does anyone know any other recipes to cure constipation?
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    29 Jun '05 11:13
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Does anyone know any other recipes to cure constipation?
    YES.

    Wait, is this the divinanza thread?
  12. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    29 Jun '05 16:08
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Does anyone know any other recipes to cure constipation?
    sure, here's a sure fire recipe:
    Stick a fire hose up your butt and turn on the water, great cure.
  13. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    29 Jun '05 17:21
    "Are you any good?"
  14. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    29 Jun '05 18:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    sure, here's a sure fire recipe:
    Stick a fire hose up your butt and turn on the water, great cure.
    That's refreshing.
  15. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    03 Jul '05 22:36
    Originally posted by LittleBear

    Lots pf people posting here in the forums wouldn't pass the Turing Test...

    Programs that simulates human chat use stereotyped (sp?) phrases, e.g.:

    "war is war, losers"

    LOL!

    Yes, Bowmann could quite easily be a computer program.