1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 08:511 edit
    Originally posted by ranjan sinha
    In any case one could make valid assumption about the implicit ( hidden) logic employed by him. It was you who also found out the multiple solutions e.g. (4,61), (16,73) within the 1<n1,n2<100 range, contradicting his (Plumber's) assertion.
    First of all, the multiple solutions (4, 61) and (16, 73) were not ever suggested to be solutions to the original version of the problem. That post of mine was in response to CoolPlayer, who suggested I use my program to test up to (999, 999).

Those &quot;solutions&quot; (they are not really solutions, but I will call them that for convenience) only work if n1 and n2 are allowed to go up to 999. Yes, allowing n1 and n2 to go higher than 100 actually creates &quot;solutions&quot; with n1 and n2 lower than 100!

My post about (4, 61) etc. has no bearing on posts made by The Plumber, who was only concerned with the original version of the problem (n1 and n2 below 100). I still agree with him that (4, 13) is the only solution to the original version.

Also, note that The Plumber claimed to have used a spreadsheet to solve the problem. You really can't confirm that his logic is incomplete without seeing that spreadsheet.
  2. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    06 Jan '05 20:17
    True . Plumber was the first to come up with the correct answer, albeit , without clearly spelling out the logic behind his assertion or the finding. I never assumed his assertion was without logic. Only he said that he didn'd give any logic. In any case one could make valid assumption about the implic ...[text shortened]... as soon as you disclosed the other solutions , found in your computer search. .
    🙄
  3. H. T. &amp; E. hte
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 14:183 edits
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    First of all, the multiple solutions (4, 61) and (16, 73) were [b]not ever suggested to be solutions to the original version of the problem. That post of mine was in response to CoolPlayer, who suggested I use my program t ...[text shortened]... firm that his logic is incomplete without seeing that spreadsheet.[/b]
    🙂 not = to 😉

BUT

😉 = 🙄
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 19:35
    🙂 not = to 😉

BUT

😉 = 🙄
    Got any other puzzles, Ranjan?
  5. H. T. &amp; E. hte
    Moves
    09 Jan '05 09:071 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Got any other puzzles, Ranjan?
    Why not ? Try the two new puzzles posted in the two new threads below.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree