1. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    116908
    04 Dec '05 21:192 edits
    Oops, the problem was badly cooked!
  2. Joined
    01 May '05
    Moves
    390
    04 Dec '05 21:39
    Well... I tried to solve it, without any "luck"...

    Is the problem wrong or your FEN:
  3. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    116908
    04 Dec '05 21:471 edit
    Originally posted by fetofs
    Well... I tried to solve it, without any "luck"...

    Is the problem wrong or your FEN:
    The composers claimed to have computer-tested it, but Fritz found a cook in 8 moves. The cook was fairly uninteresting, so I withdrew the problem.
  4. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    116908
    04 Dec '05 21:54
    Here's the cook:


    #12

    1.Bb2 a4 2.Rd4 Kf6 3.Rd6+ Kg6 4.c6 exd6 5.c7 and the new Q will mate in at most 3 more moves.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    04 Dec '05 22:58
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The composers claimed to have computer-tested it, but Fritz found a cook in 8 moves. The cook was fairly uninteresting, so I withdrew the problem.
    The only utterly infallible way of showing a problem isn't cooked is to run an unpruned search to the correct number of ply. Fritz's mate search does this. However, to search to 23 ply without pruning would take an unbelievably long time.
  6. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    116908
    05 Dec '05 07:02
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The only utterly infallible way of showing a problem isn't cooked is to run an unpruned search to the correct number of ply. Fritz's mate search does this. However, to search to 23 ply without pruning would take an unbelievably long time.
    In this case, the composers could have effortlessly found the cook with Fritz9 - it flags 1.Bb2 as #8 after a mere 13 seconds on "Infinite Analysis"! Maybe someone should sell them some better test software.
Back to Top