Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    04 Dec '05 21:19 / 2 edits
    Oops, the problem was badly cooked!
  2. 04 Dec '05 21:39
    Well... I tried to solve it, without any "luck"...

Is the problem wrong or your FEN:
  3. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    04 Dec '05 21:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by fetofs
    Well... I tried to solve it, without any "luck"...

Is the problem wrong or your FEN:
    The composers claimed to have computer-tested it, but Fritz found a cook in 8 moves. The cook was fairly uninteresting, so I withdrew the problem.
  4. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    04 Dec '05 21:54
    Here's the cook:

1.Bb2 a4 2.Rd4 Kf6 3.Rd6+ Kg6 4.c6 exd6 5.c7 and the new Q will mate in at most 3 more moves.
  5. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    04 Dec '05 22:58
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The composers claimed to have computer-tested it, but Fritz found a cook in 8 moves. The cook was fairly uninteresting, so I withdrew the problem.
    The only utterly infallible way of showing a problem isn't cooked is to run an unpruned search to the correct number of ply. Fritz's mate search does this. However, to search to 23 ply without pruning would take an unbelievably long time.
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    05 Dec '05 07:02
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The only utterly infallible way of showing a problem isn't cooked is to run an unpruned search to the correct number of ply. Fritz's mate search does this. However, to search to 23 ply without pruning would take an unbelievably long time.
    In this case, the composers could have effortlessly found the cook with Fritz9 - it flags 1.Bb2 as #8 after a mere 13 seconds on "Infinite Analysis"! Maybe someone should sell them some better test software.