Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    20117
    24 Jan '05 15:29
    Their is one guy catching fish in a lake. While catching fish their are flamingos flying over the lake. The flamingo flying in front screams to the guy catching fish - All of us, plus all of us, plus the half of us, plus a quarter of us, plus you cathing the fish is 100.
    How many flamingos flew over the lake???😕
  2. Washington, D.C.
    Joined
    17 Dec '04
    Moves
    1025
    24 Jan '05 16:48
    36 + 36 + 18 + 9 + 1 = 100

    36 Flamingos
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    20117
    24 Jan '05 16:50
    Correct!

    U know how many people dont even think of counting up to 100?
    It is really strange
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Joined
    05 Mar '02
    Moves
    32455
    25 Jan '05 04:30
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    Correct!

    U know how many people dont even think of counting up to 100?
    It is really strange
    This is pretty basic algebra, no? I mean:

    x + x + 1/2x + 1/4x + 1 = 100

    11/4x = 99

    11x = 396

    x = 36

    No?

    Nemesio
  5. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Just...the Dogg
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    123662
    25 Jan '05 06:33
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    This is pretty basic algebra, no? I mean:

    x + x + 1/2x + 1/4x + 1 = 100

    11/4x = 99

    11x = 396

    x = 36

    No?

    Nemesio
    Yeah, that's the way I would do it...not sure what he means by 'counting up'.
  6. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    3583
    22 Oct '05 23:40
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    This is pretty basic algebra, no? I mean:

    x + x + 1/2x + 1/4x + 1 = 100

    11/4x = 99

    11x = 396

    x = 36

    No?

    Nemesio
    I don't understand that.

    How do you get the 11/4x = 99 bit? Please explain.

    Thanks.
    Skims.
  7. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    22 Oct '05 23:531 edit
    Originally posted by skims
    I don't understand that.

    How do you get the 11/4x = 99 bit? Please explain.

    Thanks.
    Skims.
    x + x + 1/2x + 1/4x = 2x + 1/2x + 1/4x
    = 8/4x + 2/4x + 1/4x
    = 11/4x

    11/4x + 1 = 100
    11/4x = 99
  8. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    3583
    23 Oct '05 00:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    x + x + 1/2x + 1/4x = 2x + 1/2x + 1/4x
    = 8/4x + 2/4x + 1/4x
    = 11/4x

    11/4x + 1 = 100
    11/4x = 99
    Oh right....thank you.

    I thought it meant 11/(4x).

    My mistake.😳
  9. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    174290
    23 Oct '05 13:29
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    Their is one guy catching fish in a lake. While catching fish their are flamingos flying over the lake. The flamingo flying in front screams to the guy catching fish - All of us, plus all of us, plus the half of us, plus a quarter of us, plus you cathing the fish is 100.
    How many flamingos flew over the lake???😕
    Flamingos eat shimp 😛.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '05
    Moves
    723
    24 Oct '05 21:38
    This is assuming we consider all taking flamingos honest, capable of counting to 100 and being terribly dull. :-)
  11. Joined
    03 Nov '05
    Moves
    2737
    03 Nov '05 21:01
    2.75X + 1 = 100
    solving it we get X= 36

    thre are 36 flamingoes
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    80
    12 Nov '05 23:36
    i got a problem for every one let see how smart people are what two numbers do you add to give you 10 and multiply to give you 40
  13. Berks.
    Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    41991
    13 Nov '05 00:441 edit
    Originally posted by rockinlationchess
    i got a problem for every one let see how smart people are what two numbers do you add to give you 10 and multiply to give you 40
    I'll give up after figuring out i needs to appear in the solution.

    Never paid much attention to maths lectures by that point.
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    13 Nov '05 05:19
    Originally posted by rockinlationchess
    i got a problem for every one let see how smart people are what two numbers do you add to give you 10 and multiply to give you 40
    x+y=10 and x*y=40
    Rearranging the first:
    y=10-x
    Substituting into the second:
    x*(10-x)=40
    Simplifying and leaving zero on one side:
    -1*x^2 + 10*x - 40 = 0
    A quick check of b^2 - 4*a*c gives a negative answer meaning on real solutions to this quadratic (square root of a negative number).
    x= 5 (+-) 3.8729*i
    Therefore there are no real numbers which satisfy your criteria.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    80
    13 Nov '05 13:40
    x2+10x+40x QF=b 2 +or- “square root symbol” b2 - 4ac


    Answer using the QF = -5 + or - i “square root symbol” 15
Back to Top