1. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 18:03
    I saw an ad here at RHP for something called chick-tionary (at Live Search). There is a row of seven hens lined up and you have to use the letters they are sitting on, in order to spell words, by anagramming. In order to complete the puzzle you have to spell two or three dozen words with the same letters, using from three to seven of the letters.

There is something a bit fishy about this, however. There are six, six-letter words that must be spelled (as well as numerous three, four, and five letter words, and one seven letter word). Getting enough six letter words from the letters provided is next to impossible. I had to use obsolete language and even consult anagram generators, and even then it was difficult to find six that it would accept. My list is as follows:

stamen (OK, easy)
    steamy (easy)
    mateys (so-so)
    mayest (tough)
    mantes (an unpopular and obscure plural spelling of mantis, mantises being more common)
    aments (this is hyper-obscure)

It just strikes me as odd that a first-level puzzle at an online site like this would make it so difficult to complete. After all, you earn 20 tickets for doing so, and in order to get a downloadable ring-tone (the cheapest prize) you need 105 tickets.
  2. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 19:32
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    I saw an ad here at RHP for something called chick-tionary (at Live Search). There is a row of seven hens lined up and you have to use the letters they are sitting on, in order to spell words, by anagramming. In order to complete the puzzle you have to spell two or three dozen words with the same letters, using from three to seven of the letters.

Th ...[text shortened]... oing so, and in order to get a downloadable ring-tone (the cheapest prize) you need 105 tickets.
    Ahoy men and mateys and eat meat. Come view the steamy vapour rising from the head of this ament as he tries to ascertain the anagrams which I believe are plain to see. He is like a bunch of mantes trying to suckle from the stamen of a particularly luscious flower. Mayest he prosper on future challenges. Amen and give him amnesty.
  3. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 07:05
    *round of applause*

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree