Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    46354
    20 Dec '07 23:53
    The c & e pawns MUST have moved two since pawns on c3 or e3 would leave king in check. Hence e.p. capture is possible and problem is pxp ep and mate next move.
  2. Joined
    02 Oct '07
    Moves
    5330
    21 Dec '07 00:01
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The c & e pawns MUST have moved two since pawns on c3 or e3 would leave king in check. Hence e.p. capture is possible and problem is pxp ep and mate next move.
    That's close, but which e.p. capture and why?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    46354
    21 Dec '07 00:19
    Which? If its possible to deduce which pawn moved its far too deep for me!!!

    Good Luck to whoever attempts to solve it!
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    21 Dec '07 00:42
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Which? If its possible to deduce which pawn moved its far too deep for me!!!

    Good Luck to whoever attempts to solve it!
    Indeed. There is only one possibility, if one fully follows the rules of chess.
  5. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Joined
    04 Sep '06
    Moves
    13491
    21 Dec '07 01:182 edits
    Here's my answer:

    I'm thinking it's b4xc4 (to c3) , white takes a knight, c3-c2 mate.

    The reason for this is because white's last move had to be c2-c4, because he had no other legal moves. It could not be e2-e4, because otherwise, how could white have gotten his bishop out from f1?

  6. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    906
    21 Dec '07 05:132 edits
    Black could have captured White's bishop. It may not have left its square.

    Actually, the last move was c2-c4. Black couldn't have captured white's bishop if it was on f1. Once you figure out why, the reason c2-c4 was the last move becomes apparent (hint: Black's Pawns and White's remaining men).
  7. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    2668
    21 Dec '07 12:33
    Ah i see. The pawns must have made 10 captures, and there are 6 white pieces/pawns left on the board. This means that the white light-square bishop was captured by a pawn. Hence, the e-pawn was not moved last, as then the bishop would never have made it out. The last move by white was c2-c4, and the solution is 1. bxc3 any move 2. b2#
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    21 Dec '07 19:40
    Originally posted by Dejection
    Ah i see. The pawns must have made 10 captures, and there are 6 white pieces/pawns left on the board. This means that the white light-square bishop was captured by a pawn. Hence, the e-pawn was not moved last, as then the bishop would never have made it out. The last move by white was c2-c4, and the solution is 1. bxc3 any move 2. b2#
    Yeah, that's it. [Minor typo - move 2 should be 2...c2#]
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Joined
    14 Oct '06
    Moves
    18375
    21 Dec '07 20:29
    Originally posted by Dejection
    Ah i see. The pawns must have made 10 captures, and there are 6 white pieces/pawns left on the board. This means that the white light-square bishop was captured by a pawn. Hence, the e-pawn was not moved last, as then the bishop would never have made it out. The last move by white was c2-c4, and the solution is 1. bxc3 any move 2. b2#
    Very nice!
Back to Top