Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    12 Jun '07 21:39
    I have two coins in my pocket. They total 30 cents. One is not a quarter. What is the other?
  2. Subscriber joe shmo On Vacation
    Strange Egg
    12 Jun '07 21:50
  3. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    12 Jun '07 22:38
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Well, yes....a quarter.
  4. 13 Jun '07 15:33 / 1 edit
    You asked this in completely the wrong way. The whole point of this riddle is that when you say "One of them is not a quarter" the listener takes this to mean that neither of them is a quarter. However by following this with "What is the other coin" you immediately undo this line of thought and the listener realises that when you said "One of them is not a quarter" you were talking about exactly one of the coins, making the solution completely trivial.

You should say "One of them is not a quarter - what are the coins?" (put the emphasis on "not" ) and then when the listener gives in you say "A quarter and a 5c, I said one of them wasn't a quarter, but the other one is - hah! fooled you" (this time the emphasis is on the first "one" ).
  5. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    13 Jun '07 15:47
    You could also have a 10c and a 20c coin to make it. US cents might not come in those denominations, but European ones do.
  6. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    13 Jun '07 16:33
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    You asked this in completely the wrong way. The whole point of this riddle is that when you say "One of them is not a quarter" the listener takes this to mean that neither of them is a quarter. However by following this with "What is the other coin" you immediately undo this line of thought and the listener realises that when you said "One of them is not a ...[text shortened]... other one is - hah! fooled you" (this time the emphasis is on the first "one" ).
    I like your version. Must tell my math teacher. Saying "what is the other seems to make it more confusing though.