1. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 21:39
    I have two coins in my pocket. They total 30 cents. One is not a quarter. What is the other?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 21:50
  3. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 22:38
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Well, yes....a quarter.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 15:331 edit
    You asked this in completely the wrong way. The whole point of this riddle is that when you say "One of them is not a quarter" the listener takes this to mean that neither of them is a quarter. However by following this with "What is the other coin" you immediately undo this line of thought and the listener realises that when you said "One of them is not a quarter" you were talking about exactly one of the coins, making the solution completely trivial.

You should say "One of them is not a quarter - what are the coins?" (put the emphasis on "not" ) and then when the listener gives in you say "A quarter and a 5c, I said one of them wasn't a quarter, but the other one is - hah! fooled you" (this time the emphasis is on the first "one" ).
  5. Berks.
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 15:47
    You could also have a 10c and a 20c coin to make it. US cents might not come in those denominations, but European ones do.
  6. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 16:33
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    You asked this in completely the wrong way. The whole point of this riddle is that when you say "One of them is not a quarter" the listener takes this to mean that neither of them is a quarter. However by following this with "What is the other coin" you immediately undo this line of thought and the listener realises that when you said "One of them is not a ...[text shortened]... other one is - hah! fooled you" (this time the emphasis is on the first "one" ).
    I like your version. Must tell my math teacher. Saying "what is the other seems to make it more confusing though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree