1. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    07 Dec '12 01:03
    If you are wearing an anorak and trousers, then cycling in the rain can get the trousers very wet. What is the best cycling strategy to get them the least wet, e.g. I could cycle home as fast as possible, or I could repeatedly speed up and coast with legs vertical on the pedals, so my upper thighs aren't catching the rain, except this would take me longer to get home...
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 03:51
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    If you are wearing an anorak and trousers, then cycling in the rain can get the trousers very wet. What is the best cycling strategy to get them the least wet, e.g. I could cycle home as fast as possible, or I could repeatedly speed up and coast with legs vertical on the pedals, so my upper thighs aren't catching the rain, except this would take me longer to get home...
    Goretex
  3. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 11:42
    this reminds me of a similar puzzle with the car which has no front window and no roof and the question is wether to go fast or slow to get least rain.
    if you would go (theoretically) with infinite speed, your time would be 0 and you would get no rain. therefore going faster is the better option. now in this case you have the ability to get no rain while going slow as well. but my feeling tells me that this wont matter to much. my first guess is: keep pedaling.
    but then again the answer could be that sometimes pedaling fast and sometimes rest would balance to regular pedaling. so it wont matter what you do. ill think more 😉
  4. Joined
    19 Dec '12
    Moves
    20 Dec '12 08:14
    Put the bike in the boot of the car, and drive home... windows up of course 🙂
  5. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    24 Dec '12 11:16
    I have no car 🙁
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 06:31
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    I have no car 🙁
    Cycle between the raindrops
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 22:35
    Take the trousers off, roll them up and put them under the anorak, by your belly.
  8. Joined
    17 Nov '12
    Moves
    30 Dec '12 18:25
    Assuming spherical bicycles in a vacuum, you should pedal as quickly as possible to minimize the amount of water that splashes up on you.
  9. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 18:08
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    this reminds me of a similar puzzle with the car which has no front window and no roof and the question is wether to go fast or slow to get least rain.
    if you would go (theoretically) with infinite speed, your time would be 0 and you would get no rain. therefore going faster is the better option. now in this case you have the ability to get no rain while ...[text shortened]... metimes rest would balance to regular pedaling. so it wont matter what you do. ill think more 😉
    Except if you moved at infinite speed, you'd still hit rain drops horizontally in front of you.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 20:20
    Originally posted by Kareemelbadry
    ...spherical bicycles in a vacuum...
    No idea what to do with that information.
  11. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 18:08
    I was expecting some calculations based on the falling speed of the rain and how much rain my legs catch when coasting (banging into rain drops) or pedalling (lower legs bang into rain drops & rain falls onto upper thighs). Seeing as rain falls faster than I pedal it seems like the thighs catching rain probably dominate

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree