desert island

desert island

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k

Moves
23 Dec 04

you are trapped on a desert island which is a thin strip pointing east to west for 10 miles. it is completly covered in trees. a fire has broken out on the western shore and ther e is a strong wind from the west blowing directly to the east at 10 miles an hour.

i.e. the fire will completely burn the whole island in 1 hour, your rescue boat arrives in 2 hours and if you step in the ocean you die (sharks, giant squid anything scary really) what do you do?

Q
Tovenaar

Dieren

Moves
23 Dec 04

You start a fire at the last mile (or less) yourself. It will be burnt and hopefully cooled enough to go there after 54 minutes when the other fire reaches you.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Dec 04

Originally posted by kcams
you are trapped on a desert island which is a thin strip pointing east to west for 10 miles. it is completly covered in trees. a fire has broken out on the western shore and ther e is a strong wind from the west blowing directly to the east at 10 miles an hour.

i.e. the fire will completely burn the whole island in 1 hour, your rescue boat arrives in 2 hour ...[text shortened]... and if you step in the ocean you die (sharks, giant squid anything scary really) what do you do?
Since when were desert islands covered in trees?

As already mentioned, a fire break is probably the best idea. Or, dig a hole in the ground and let the fire pass over you.

L

Ingleside, Texas

Moves
24 Dec 04

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
[b]Since when were desert islands covered in trees?

LOL, that's all that need to said...or done.