1. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 23:34
    Originally posted by yelrambob
    i didnt take the cap off no
    Was it plain water, or carbonated water?

F. GRANNY.
  2. Brooklyn
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 02:02
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Was it plain water, or carbonated water?

F. GRANNY.
    plain
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 07:063 edits
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I found a bunch of videos on Youtube having to do with supercooled water in plastic bottles quickly turning to ice ("instant ice" ), so apparently it's not as uncommon as I thought. This is almost definitely what happened.

Here are some quick calculations to show why the expansion of the moist air wouldn't freeze the ice. The work done by a gas expanding moist air in the bottle wouldn't be enough to freeze even a small portion of the water.
    You misunderstand my argument. You'd need to calculate the increase in pressure to prove or disprove my hypothesis. It's not about heat, it's about pressure.

Look at this:

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461541579/Phase_Diagram_for_Water.html

At a particular pressure, you read the variation in temperature from left to right and back again. At 1 atm, less than 0 degrees C is solid, and more is liquid or gas. Increase the pressure to 225 atm and ... the water doesn't freeze until negative 1 or 2! I was mistaken; water has a strange phase diagram due to the crystal structure of ice. Increased pressure makes it harder to freeze, not easier, because water expands when it freezes.

OK, then the opposite argument would be that the pressure DECREASED in the bottle somehow (for example, the bottle snapping back to the uncrunched conformation due to heat causing the air to expand), bringing the freezing point up to +1 degrees C or higher, which triggers the freeze.

It's more likely supercooling though.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 07:10
    Originally posted by uzless
    If the bottle was half empty and the top portion crushed then when you were driving around the water would have sloshed around inside the bottle and uncrushed the bottle back to its original shape.

This would have lowered the pressure inside the bottle which in turn would lower the temperature of the gas inside the bottle, thus cooling the water to a point where it froze.
    This complements my explanation. Both factors might kick in at once; decreased pressure as well as temperature reduction due to adiabatic expansion (that's the right term, yes?)
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 18:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    This complements my explanation. Both factors might kick in at once; decreased pressure as well as temperature reduction due to adiabatic expansion (that's the right term, yes?)
    I think it's Boyle's Law if I remember...as you increase volume (therefore decreasing pressure), you decrease temperature.

Same reason a hair spray can or paint can gets cold when you hold the nozzle down for a few seconds.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 18:531 edit
    This question reminds me of the following article I read a while ago...funny stuff. Give it a read!

Dr. Schambaugh, of the University of Oklahoma School of Chemical Engineering, Final Exam question for May of 1997. Dr. Schambaugh is known for asking questions such as, "why do airplanes fly?" on his final exams. His one and only final exam question in May 1997 for his Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer II class was: "Is hell exothermic or endothermic? Support your answer with proof."

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

"First, We postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant. Two options exist:

If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.
    If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.
    So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have NOT succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then Option 2 cannot be true...Thus, hell is exothermic."

The student, Tim Graham, got the only A.

http://www.pinetree.net/humor/thermodynamics.html
  7. Brooklyn
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 00:55
    Originally posted by uzless
    This question reminds me of the following article I read a while ago...funny stuff. Give it a read!

Dr. Schambaugh, of the University of Oklahoma School of Chemical Engineering, Final Exam question for May of 1997. Dr. Schambaugh is known for asking questions such as, "why do airplanes fly?" on his final exams. His one and only final exam question in Ma ...[text shortened]... ent, Tim Graham, got the only A.

http://www.pinetree.net/humor/thermodynamics.html
    nice
  8. Brooklyn
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 01:06
    if anyone would take a look on youtube to see the ce freezing: after the bottle of water is cooled before the instant ice happens the bottle must be moved back and forth a few times with the exception of one video where this was done in the desert the same with the freezing beer tapping on the table catalyzed the reaction

im not sure and believe me only guessing, but could it be caused by any amount of heat inside the bottle being the catlyst for such a cool event
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 21:24
    At what temperature does the liquid of an unopened and undisturbed Cola in a plastic bottle freeze?
    It has to do with the sugar and other content besides of the water itself. It has to do with its gasous content. It has to do with the pressure inside the bottle.
    My coke in the car didn't freeze, despite the temperature of minus 4 centigrades last night.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 06:28
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    At what temperature does the liquid of an unopened and undisturbed Cola in a plastic bottle freeze?
    It has to do with the sugar and other content besides of the water itself. It has to do with its gasous content. It has to do with the pressure inside the bottle.
    My coke in the car didn't freeze, despite the temperature of minus 4 centigrades last night.
    The "stuff" that makes it cola instead of water depresses the freezing temperature. Pressure also depresses the freezing point of an aqueous solution.

The gaseous content contributes to the pressure and is dissolved in solution. It's already accounted for by those two factors.
  11. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    17 Feb '08 23:291 edit
    last night i mistakenly left a bottle of water in my car. when i got in my car this morning after a well below freezing night the bottle was not frozen at all the water was still liquid (though the air in the bottle shrank like a balloon in the freezer). i didnt think much of it until i started driving and i turned on the heat. about five minutes later i w ...[text shortened]... a drink from the bottle and noticed the water was almost completely frozen. why di this happen?
    In certain cases, water, especially if very pure, though this is not necessarily required, or any other liquid, can drop to below it's freezing point without freezing. Supplying a vibration or nucleation point can cause it to freeze quite suddenly.
    This is known as supercooling, see this video for an example with ordinary drinking water...

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=lISK1YFcZBM&feature=related

And this article for more information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_freezing

Edit: Incidentally, it is unlikely that the heating being turned on had much to do with it at all, it is probably the vibrations from the car or from touching it which caused the freezing. The change in air pressure may also have provided enough of a kinetic kick to start the freezing if the bottle had been opened, but most likely it was simply the cars vibrations.
  12. Brooklyn
    Moves
    17 Feb '08 23:34
    Originally posted by agryson
    In certain cases, water, especially if very pure, though this is not necessarily required, or any other liquid, can drop to below it's freezing point without freezing. Supplying a vibration or nucleation point can cause it to freeze quite suddenly.
    This is known as supercooling, see this video for an example with ordinary drinking water...

http://ie.you ...[text shortened]... ated

And this article for more information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_freezing
    awesome thanks
  13. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    17 Feb '08 23:37
    awesome thanks
    very welcome

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree