Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 11 Dec '04 06:25
    There are three glasses of water with capacity of 3oz, 5oz and 8oz each. The last glass(8oz) is full, the others are empty. Transfer the water in such a way that one glass contains 4oz.

    Only one condition: you cannot pour or fill half/quarter glass etc.for eg you cannot pour half of the water in the 8oz glass to the 5oz glass to get 4oz. Understand what i mean?
    Enjoy
  2. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    11 Dec '04 07:10 / 1 edit
    How about drinking 4 oz. or pouring 4 oz. down the drain thus leaving 4 oz. left?
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    11 Dec '04 09:50
    Originally posted by arterioes
    There are three glasses of water with capacity of 3oz, 5oz and 8oz each. The last glass(8oz) is full, the others are empty. Transfer the water in such a way that one glass contains 4oz.

    Only one condition: you cannot pour or fill half/quarter glass etc.for eg you cannot pour half of the water in the 8oz glass to the 5oz glass to get 4oz. Understand what i mean?
    Enjoy
    5 oz from 8 to 5.

    3 oz from 5 to 3.

    Now we have 3 in 8, 2 in 5, 3 in 3.

    3 oz from 3 to 8. 2 oz from 5 to 3. 5 oz from 8 to 5.

    Now we have 1 in 8, 5 in 5, 2 in 3.

    1 oz from 5 to 3 leaves 4 oz in 5.
  4. 11 Dec '04 12:07
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    5 oz from 8 to 5.

    3 oz from 5 to 3.

    Now we have 3 in 8, 2 in 5, 3 in 3.

    3 oz from 3 to 8. 2 oz from 5 to 3. 5 oz from 8 to 5.

    Now we have 1 in 8, 5 in 5, 2 in 3.

    1 oz from 5 to 3 leaves 4 oz in 5.
    Good. Now can you get 4oz in the 8oz glass.
  5. Standard member The Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    11 Dec '04 15:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by arterioes
    Good. Now can you get 4oz in the 8oz glass.
    Don't know if it's the least moves....

    3 from 8 to 3, and then 3 from 3 to 5 - leaves 5,3,0 (in 8,5,3, respectively)
    3 from 8 to 3, and then 2 from 3 to 5 - leaves 2,5,1
    5 from 5 to 8, and then 1 from 3 to 5 - leaves 7,1,0
    finally, 3 from 8 to 3 - leaves 4,1,3