1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 03:41
    Japan is the Far East. California is the Westside of the Western world.

What is Hawaii? Undefined? 😕
  2. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 08:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Japan is the Far East. California is the Westside of the Western world.

What is Hawaii? Undefined? 😕
    West, the zero meridian (backside) runs on the Asian side of it. And North - above the equator.
  3. ALG
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 15:27
    No Eastern philosophy --> West.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 19:45
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    No Eastern philosophy --> West.
    By that count, SoCal is quite a bit to the East of Kansas...

Richard
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 09:48
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    West, the zero meridian (backside) runs on the Asian side of it. And North - above the equator.
    But most of Western Europe is considered "the west" despite being east of the Greenwich meridian.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 20:22
    WESTR

East and West are just vague descrpitives when used in political sense, for example the schism in the Roman Empire was not drawn down a line oflongitude but still gave us the Western (Holy) and Eastern (Byzantine) Roman Empires. Hawaii would surely be in the Western camp culturally and religiously.

Also medieval maps showed Rome in the centre (for political and geographical reasons) so it could be argued that West and East are relative to Rome. Hawaii is just less than half way round (westwards) from Rome. So again West.

And then there is that great lump the Pacific ... thats a good geographical divider.

So all in all I think Hawaii is in the West and we dont have to resort to the British Admiralty decision to put Greenwich at the centre!
  7. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 12:07
    Originally posted by mtthw
    But most of Western Europe is considered "the west" despite being east of the Greenwich meridian.
    True. My definition looks at it from hemisphere point of view, which doesn't always give the same result as a political of point of view, or any other possible angle. Was communistic Cuba in the West?
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 11:22
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Also medieval maps showed Rome in the centre (for political and geographical reasons) so it could be argued that West and East are relative to Rome.
    Jerusalem, actually, almost always.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree