1. Joined
    09 May '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 17:36
    Man drives up to his house, shoots his wife, gets back into his car, drives a kilometre up the road, then stops the car and shoots himself.

Why? (The question is why did he not just shoot himself in the house?)
  2. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 17:42
    A few minutes after pulling away from the house, John knew he'd forgotten something...
  3. Joined
    09 May '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 17:51
    No.
  4. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 17:59
    some of her blood splashed on him. He drives away, notices the blood, thinks he has cut himself. He is a haemophiliac and so ends his life quicker.
  5. In Christ
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 18:06
    The question is why did he not just shoot himself in the house?

This only decreases my faith in humanity. We should care more about why he drove a kilometer away than why he was motivated to kill himself and his wife in the first place? Are we so desensitized? This is a sad, sad world we're living in :'(

Best not wallow in grief: back to the riddle. There was a special place in his life, possibly the site of some past moment of pure happiness, where he swore he would die someday, hoping to carry this happiness into the afterlife. This site happened to be one kilometer up the road. He did not wish the same for his wife, whom he hoped simply to avenge himself on for some past trauma related to her actions. So he killed her at home, drove to the special site, and killed himself there.

That's what I hate about lateral thinking puzzles. No matter how specific you are, it's always vague enough to allow an unlimited amount of answers.
  6. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 18:21
    He needed more ammo and had to drive to the store.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 19:133 edits
    Originally posted by Hom25
    Man drives up to his house, shoots his wife, gets back into his car, drives a kilometre up the road, then stops the car and shoots himself.

Why? (The question is why did he not just shoot himself in the house?)
    I love riddles like this. As Paula Abdul would say, "Everyone's a winner!" Anything, including...

1) After thinking about what he had done, guilt overwhelmed him and he shot himself.

2) Police finally caught up to him.

3) It was a misunderstanding - what she really said was, "Steve gave me a really good truck". Man replays conversation in his head while driving, realizes his error, stops, BANG.

...solves.
  8. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 19:22
    He's so damned dopy that he thought it was his house, but was in actual fact a complete stranger, and he shot a random woman he thought was his wife. He then drives off, and arrives at his own house, realises that he going to get arrested by the husband of the woman he's shot going to the police, he decides a better option is to kill himself.
  9. Joined
    09 May '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 19:34
    None close so far. Grief, remorse etc.. not relevant. He killed his wife in cold blood (and it was his wife).

I agree that any number of answers could be correct, however, there's one key piece of information you need to know before resolving this one;

At what point (and why) did he realise he wasn't going to get away with it?
  10. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 19:37
    He crashed into the policestation having videotaped the whole thing
  11. Joined
    09 May '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 19:43
    Nope
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 19:59
    [b]None close so far. Grief, remorse etc.. not relevant. He killed his wife in cold blood (and it was his wife).

b]
    Cold Blood?? Humans have warm blood. When you are killed your blood is warm dam it, WARM!

In Cold Blood makes no sense.
  13. Joined
    09 May '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 20:04
    Pedant.

In English we have a turn of phrase 'in cold blood' which means without emotion - i.e. behaving inhumanely.

It's a figure of speech. Where are you from?

Matt
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 22:02
    Nope
    Shrug.
  15. Joined
    09 May '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 22:37
    He was a DJ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree