1. Joined
    07 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 13:05
    impulse = change in momentum = force (= mass bullet x velocity and then use similar units , g = M/s/s , velocity = metres/s , foot size = metres)

standing position = weight balanced over fulcrum of foot ( 'bigfoot' has a better result here ... )

bullet impact height above ground contact point x force of bullet = weight (being) x fulcrum

as bullet approaches cannon ball size, additional possibilities amount to position of impact relative to c of g, direct hit at c of g - results in immediate lateral displacement after subsequent collapse around ball

a further displacement from c of g could create a moment = force and eccentricity, force sufficient to move body / peices, and eccentric load imparting a spin, so it would then spin off into the distance

advised not to try this at home...
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 02:203 edits
    Originally posted by smw6869
    They use armor piercing bullets to go thru metal. I'm sure in the film they were using lead bullets. I'll look for the video.

G.
    Even a lead bullet would tear through a phone book with no problem. Like a hot knife through warm butter. What you saw was some sort of fraud, it was not a .50 cal cartridge. The lowly .22 Long Rifle, fired from a snub nose revolver will zip through a phone book....with a lead bullet at that.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 02:16
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Even a lead bullet would tear through a phone book with no problem. Like a hot knife through warm butter. What you saw was some sort of fraud, it was not a .50 cal cartridge. The lowly .22 Long Rifle, fired from a snub nose revolver will zip through a phone book....with a lead bullet at that.
    What about a 0.50 cal pistol round with a hollow point?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 11:352 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What about a 0.50 cal pistol round with a hollow point?
    It'd shred through the thickest phone book in the world and go through 2 or 3 men behind it. Hollow points generally don't expand when hitting dry paper, the paper plugs up the hollow point and prevents any expansion. Even if it did mushroom, it'd go through a phone book and at least one guy on the other side.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree