How deep is the water?

How deep is the water?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Defend the Universe

Moves
18 Jul 08

Originally posted by eldragonfly
Thanks, but R could be 1 making the use of the pythagorean theorem impossible. And R is not the hypotenuse, the imaginary distance from the edge of the pond to the bottom of the pond is. So your problem is poorly structured for many reasons..

"Let the original length of the flower stem be R."

which also happens to be the depth of the pond therefore ...[text shortened]... ince R-1 is the depth,"

Here i'll say it one more time :

Insufficient information. 😕
See my original post, where I used D and (D+1). Then only a value of D = -1 will cause that, and I think we can all agree that the depth is non-negative.

f
Defend the Universe

Moves
18 Jul 08

Just answer the question, why should i assume that the lake is more than 1 foot deep, that's the flower + the one foot stem? Fact is this is another silly word problem, not very insightful. If you would be so kind PBE6 since i'm willing to let by-gones be by-gones, please pm me the solution. i just want to see the math, i promise i won't criticize the reasoning or lack thereof behind it.
I think you're just trying to be a pain in the rear.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
18 Jul 08

Originally posted by PBE6
No need for a pm, spanky, just refer to the following un-edited posts:

#1 "A woman walks by a pond, and sees a beautiful flower growing on a stem in the middle of the pond. She finds a 5 foot stick by the pond, which just allows her to reach the flower and drag to the edge, where the flower just touches the water. She then picks the flower with 1 foot of the ...[text shortened]... 26

R = 13

Since R-1 is the depth, the answer to the question is:

R-1 = 13 - 1 = 12.
The math may work but no aquatic plant in North America grows a flower 1 foot above the water level, except one. And it only grows in water to a maximum depth of 4 feet.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
18 Jul 08

Originally posted by forkedknight
I think you're just trying to be a pain in the rear.
Well then obviously i'm right if you can't answer a simple question.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
18 Jul 08

See my original post, where I used D and (D+1). Then only a value of D = -1 will cause that, and I think we can all agree that the depth is non-negative.
Wrong. You cannot use the pythagorean formula here, too many unknowns.

1) the depth of the pond is not known. Let's call this X.

2) the imaginary distance from the edge of the pond to the bottom of the pond is not known, or the hypotenuse. Let's call this Y.

3) we only know the distance from the edge of the pond to the flower, which is given as 5 feet.

So you would have to solve this equation which is impossible by definition and simple math rules.

5^2 + X^2 = Y^2

Insufficient information.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
18 Jul 08
1 edit

It's a 5-12-13 triangle, so 12 ft.
No it's not. Yet another silly cut and paste problem from PBE6.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Jul 08

2) the imaginary distance from the edge of the pond to the bottom of the pond is not known, or the hypotenuse. Let's call this Y.

3) we only know the distance from the edge of the pond to the flower, which is given as ...[text shortened]... mpossible by definition and simple math rules.

5^2 + X^2 = Y^2

Insufficient intelligence.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
18 Jul 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Insufficient intelligence.
twaddle. but i do give PBE6 credit for putting interesting problems out there, but like this one, they are either poorly worded, poorly formulated, nonsensical in nature or have severely contrived solutions.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Jul 08

twaddle. but i do give PBE6 credit for putting interesting problems out there, but like this one, they are either poorly worded, poorly formulated, nonsensical in nature or have severely contrived solutions.
Severely contrived solutions! Good one.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 Jul 08

Wrong.
Critics who won't explain are some of the most useless and obnoxious people on the planet.

You're an idiot.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 Jul 08
1 edit

3) we only know the distance from the edge of the pond to the flower, which is given as ...[text shortened]... mpossible by definition and simple math rules.

5^2 + X^2 = Y^2

The distance from the edge to the bottom is not imaginary, idiot.

How you're blind to the fact that X and Y are related by a very simple and easily described function is beyond me. It's an equation in ONE variable, assuming some basic mathematical competence which you apparently don't have.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
19 Jul 08

Wrong. i showed that there is no solution and i gave solid reasoning to back it up, not a bunch of moronic and childish ad hominems. Show your solution, instead of just babbling idiotic nonsense. 🙄

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
19 Jul 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Critics who won't explain are some of the most useless and obnoxious people on the planet.

3) we only know the distance from the edge of the pond to the flower, which is given as 5 feet.

So you would have to solve this equation which is impossible by definition and simple math rules.

5^2 + X^2 = Y^2

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Jul 08

3) we only know the distance from the edge of the pond to the flower, which is given ...[text shortened]... ossible by definition and simple math rules.

5^2 + X^2 = Y^2

And you know that the distance from the bottom of the pool to the edge is the length of the stem from root to flower, whereas the distance from the bottom to the center of the pool is that same distance minus one foot.

Why are you so convinced this is not true?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Jul 08
3 edits

Thanks, but R could be 1 making the use of the pythagorean theorem impossible. And R is not the hypotenuse, the imaginary distance from the edge of the pond to the bottom of the pond is. So your problem is poorly structured for many reasons..

"Let the original length of the flower stem be R."

which also happens to be the depth of the pond therefore ince R-1 is the depth,"

Here i'll say it one more time :

Insufficient information. 😕
The hypotenuse is NEVER shorter than either leg, and you know one leg is 5 feet. Oops!

And R is not the hypotenuse, the imaginary distance from the edge of the pond to the bottom of the pond is.

Wow...you're really confused. The right triangle has two legs. One is the vertical distance from bottom of pond to the center of the pond, where the flower starts. The other is the five foot horizontal distance from that point to the edge. These two make a right angle, leaving the distance from the edge to the bottom as the hypotenuse. This is exactly long enough to make the flower touch the water - it's exactly R, which was defined as the length of the stem.