Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. 24 Aug '06 08:29
    This is a game that I had played recently (I am white), it went as follows:

1. c4 Nc6 2. g3 e6 3. Bg2 Bc5 4. Nf3 Qf6 5. Nc3 Nge7
    6. Ne4 Qf5 7. Nxc4 Qxc4 8. d3 0-0 9. 0-0 Nf5 10. e4 Nfd4
    11. Be3 e5 12. Nd2 d6 13. Nb3 Qb6 14. f4 Bd7 15. f5 Rad8
    16. Qg4 Rfe8

Im not sure if I have done this right but above should be a diagram of the position. Here I played Kh1, followed by Bh6 and then h4,h5. Apparaently the best move in the diagramed position is 17. Qh5 (intending 18. f6), to which the best defense is 17... f6. But now the question is how does white continue? Black could move a rook to e7 defending g7 and maybe move his bishop to e8 to harrass my queen.

The reason why I am looking over this game is because if the game had went this way after 17. Qh5 f6 I would be stuck. How do you determine canditate moves in positions like this? I am not a good player I am rated around 1200 and I dont even know which side is better and worse here. Any thoughts on the best course of action would be appreciated.

In the actual game I was lucky to win after black played Nxb3 and Nxa1 while my queen went to f6
  2. Standard member Agerg
    The 'edit'or
    24 Aug '06 21:13 / 1 edit
    I'm not really a strong player myself but Qh5 suggests that white is moving in for the kill. 17...f6 stops 18 f6 but white can now advance the g3 pawn...it is this that can do some real damage to the kings pawns. Nothing can really help out for black either..the queen is stuck in the middle of nowhere, and any plans would take longer to execute than white's...the c6 knight is looking after the d4 knight, the d4 knight is pinned to the queen...the rooks can't come out because of whites pesky f5 pawn and the black bishop is only *looking* at the f5 pawn. White on the other hand just needs to open up the kings defence and all hell can break loose

though I may be wrong