Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscriber joe shmo On Vacation
    Strange Egg
    04 Apr '10 21:24
    Does anyone know the US customary units for angular momentum? An online assignment is being a real pain in my a$$.

    Eric
  2. Subscriber joe shmo On Vacation
    Strange Egg
    04 Apr '10 23:17
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Does anyone know the US customary units for angular momentum? An online assignment is being a real pain in my a$$.

    Eric
    Nevermind, it was trying to tell me that I was using a mixture of SI and US customary values within the calculation, not that the units on the answer were wrong.......woops

    Yet another reason for me to dislike online assignments.
  3. 05 Apr '10 09:48 / 1 edit
    I usually consult Wikipedia for such information at work. Most of the mathematics and physics entries are very infirmative and reliable.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum

    I try to stick with SI units everywhere, and certainly don't touch imperial units like feet, pounds and knots. Having said that though, I only really understand the size of angles in degrees, my head doesn't yet think in fractions of a radian sadly.
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Apr '10 13:20
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    I usually consult Wikipedia for such information at work. Most of the mathematics and physics entries are very infirmative and reliable.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum

    I try to stick with SI units everywhere, and certainly don't touch imperial units like feet, pounds and knots. Having said that though, I only really understand the size of angles in degrees, my head doesn't yet think in fractions of a radian sadly.
    Yeah, like just how big is a half radian?
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    05 Apr '10 17:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    I usually consult Wikipedia for such information at work. Most of the mathematics and physics entries are very infirmative and reliable.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum

    I try to stick with SI units everywhere, and certainly don't touch imperial units like feet, pounds and knots. Having said that though, I only really understand the size of angles in degrees, my head doesn't yet think in fractions of a radian sadly.
    The radian is a unit of plane angle, equal to 180/pi degrees, or about 57.2958 degrees.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radian

    You can convert directly from radians to degrees and vice versa.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    05 Apr '10 17:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, like just how big is a half radian?
    90/pi degrees
  7. Standard member forkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    05 Apr '10 17:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The radian is a unit of plane angle, equal to 180/pi degrees, or about 57.2958 degrees.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radian

    You can convert directly from radians to degrees and vice versa.
    Yeah, if I have to estimate with radians, I usually just round pi to 3 for any in-my-head calculations and adjust it by about 5% later.

    1 radian ~= 60 degrees is pretty good for estimation purposes. If you do the 5% adjustment, it brings you within 1% of the correct answer.