1. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Joined
    16 Jan '05
    Moves
    12804
    02 Jul '05 21:04
    You're trapped in a room with nothing except one match, and three identical ropes in it. Let's say that you want to know when 45 minutes has passed so you can call your non-existent girlfriend on your non-existent phone. For the point of the puzzle, we're also going to assume that you're incapable of counting the time yourself, that you're wearing a balerina costume, and are a raging alcoholic just for fun.

    So anyway, the only knowledge that you posess of the ropes is that it always takes 30 minutes to burn one. But you don't know if the ropes will burn at an even rate. How do you determine when 45 minutes has passed?
  2. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37184
    02 Jul '05 21:09
    Originally posted by ark13
    You're trapped in a room with nothing except one match, and three identical ropes in it. Let's say that you want to know when 45 minutes has passed so you can call your non-existent girlfriend on your non-existent phone. For the point of the puzzle, we're also going to assume that you're incapable of counting the time yourself, that you're wearing a bal ...[text shortened]... t know if the ropes will burn at an even rate. How do you determine when 45 minutes has passed?
    burn a rope for the first half hour, near the end, use the flame to lit a second one to be used as a match. When the first rope is burnt up, lit the third rope on both sides. That rope will burn for 15 minutes, and then the 45 minutes are over ?
  3. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Joined
    16 Jan '05
    Moves
    12804
    02 Jul '05 21:10
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    burn a rope for the first half hour, near the end, use the flame to lit a second one to be used as a match. When the first rope is burnt up, lit the third rope on both sides. That rope will burn for 15 minutes, and then the 45 minutes are over ?
    Yup, that was fast.πŸ™‚
  4. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    02 Jul '05 21:141 edit
    Well there is a simple way actually. You light both of their ends...
    EDIT: Argh, Mephisto was again first, and mine was messed up anyway πŸ™
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    03 Jul '05 23:29
    Originally posted by ark13
    Yup, that was fast.πŸ™‚
    There was a very long thread on this (and the ambiguous wording that it contained) a couple of months back.
  6. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Joined
    16 Jan '05
    Moves
    12804
    04 Jul '05 03:02
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    There was a very long thread on this (and the ambiguous wording that it contained) a couple of months back.
    I'm sorryπŸ˜žπŸ˜‰
Back to Top