Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 31 Jan '08 19:45
    ...a paradox, a dilemma or a puzzle?
  2. 31 Jan '08 20:56
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    ...a paradox, a dilemma or a puzzle?
    It's certainly not a paradox, no contradiction is present, it is only an open question with alternatives.

    But a sentence like "This is a paradox!" is a paradox. Why? Because no paradox is presentt, therfore it is not a paradox, but if it is not a paradox, why does the sentence say so?, therefore it is a paradox. This kind of sentences is called self-referencing sentences.

    Another self-referencing sentence is the following: "This sentence is written in Swedish." Is it a paradox? Yes, because if it is written in Swedish, most of you can't read it, yet you can read it, therefore it is not written in Swedish, even if it says so.
    Another sentence is this "Denna mening är skriven på engelska." Is it?

    Then we have sentences wich are mutual referencing. An example is the following: "Ich spreche nicht fransösich. Je parle pas l'Anglais. I don't spek german." Is this a paradox?
  3. 31 Jan '08 21:11
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    ...a paradox, a dilemma or a puzzle?
    No.
  4. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    31 Jan '08 21:36
    yes, nor no . .maybe
  5. 31 Jan '08 23:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    It's certainly not a paradox, no contradiction is present, it is only an open question with alternatives.

    But a sentence like "This is a paradox!" is a paradox. Why? Because no paradox is presentt, therfore it is not a paradox, but if it is not a paradox, why does the sentence say so?, therefore it is a paradox. This kind of sentences is called self-re ...[text shortened]... e nicht fransösich. Je parle pas l'Anglais. I don't spek german." Is this a paradox?
    What about this:

    'Their are three mistakes in this sentance.'
  6. 01 Feb '08 07:22
    the first I should be an R, the first R should be an E and the A in sentence should be an E.
  7. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    01 Feb '08 07:24
    This sentence is not true.

    "This sentence is written in Swedish" doesn't seem like a paradox to me. It's simply a false statement. Do false statements count as paradoxes as well?

    "My name is Joanna" (referring to myself) would be a paradox as well then.
  8. 01 Feb '08 07:40
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    This sentence is not true.

    "This sentence is written in Swedish" doesn't seem like a paradox to me. It's simply a false statement. Do false statements count as paradoxes as well?

    "My name is Joanna" (referring to myself) would be a paradox as well then.
    If the sentence "This sentence is written in Swedish" actually were written in Swedish you wouldn't be able to read it (?). But you read it and understood it, therefore it can't be written in Swedish, even if it says so.
    But I agree, that it was a not so good example of a paradox...
  9. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    01 Feb '08 09:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If the sentence "This sentence is written in Swedish" actually were written in Swedish you wouldn't be able to read it (?). But you read it and understood it, therefore it can't be written in Swedish, even if it says so.
    But I agree, that it was a not so good example of a paradox...
    Ah, I see how you meant it. I don't understand Swedish, so let's just say it's a subtle paradox :p