Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 27 Nov '06 18:29
    I've got a book stuffed with puzzles(1000+). First ones will be pretty easy. Here they are.

    1)White to move. +-

  2. 27 Nov '06 18:30
    2)White to move. +-

  3. 27 Nov '06 18:32 / 3 edits
    3)White to move. +-

  4. 27 Nov '06 19:08
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    2)White to move. +-

    [fen]5kr1/R6p/5b2/4n3/3N2Pq/2P4P/3Q3K/5R2 w[/fen]
    1. Ne6+
  5. 27 Nov '06 19:08
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    3)White to move. +-

    [fen]5r1k/bp1rNppp/p7/6N1/8/4P3/PP3PPP/2R3K1 w[/fen]
    1. Nf7+
  6. 27 Nov '06 19:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    I've got a book stuffed with puzzles(1000+). First ones will be pretty easy. Here they are.

    1)White to move. +-

    [fen]1rb2n1k/5r1p/2pp1PpQ/4P3/p3P3/qBP2P2/P1P1N3/1K1R3R w[/fen]
    1. Qxf8+
  7. 27 Nov '06 19:10
    More! More!
  8. 27 Nov '06 19:59
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    1. Qxf8+
    I'm not sure how that is correct. After Rxf8 how do you continue?
    BTW, what does the +- mean?
  9. 27 Nov '06 20:00
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    3)White to move. +-

    [fen]5r1k/bp1rNppp/p7/6N1/8/4P3/PP3PPP/2R3K1 w[/fen]
    This one is pretty easy.
    1. Nxf7+! Rxf7
    2. Rc8+ Rd8
    3. Rxd8+ Rf8
    4. Rxf8#
  10. 27 Nov '06 20:06
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    2)White to move. +-

    [fen]5kr1/R6p/5b2/4n3/3N2Pq/2P4P/3Q3K/5R2 w[/fen]
    1. Ne6+ Ke8
    2. Ng7+ Kf8
    3. Qd8#
    is a line that can be easily stopped. I see no other mate, though admittedly I haven't concentrated on it for that long.
  11. 27 Nov '06 20:10
    Originally posted by Alethia
    I'm not sure how that is correct. After Rxf8 how do you continue?
    BTW, what does the +- mean?
    Rxh7 Kxh7 Rh1#

    DUH
  12. Standard member Kirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    27 Nov '06 20:24
    Originally posted by Kings Indian FTW
    Rxh7 Kxh7 Rh1#

    DUH
    No need to be so rude. He was only asking for an explanation
    Mel
  13. Standard member Kirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    27 Nov '06 20:25
    Originally posted by Alethia
    I'm not sure how that is correct. After Rxf8 how do you continue?
    BTW, what does the +- mean?
    + means 'check'

    I trust you saw the full continuation earlier
  14. Standard member Kirwan
    Mel Kirwan
    27 Nov '06 20:28
    Originally posted by Alethia
    1. Ne6+ Ke8
    2. Ng7+ Kf8
    3. Qd8#
    is a line that can be easily stopped. I see no other mate, though admittedly I haven't concentrated on it for that long.
    N e6+ K e8
    Q d8+ BxQ
    R f8+ RxR
    N g7 mate
  15. 27 Nov '06 20:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Kirwan
    + means 'check'

    I trust you saw the full continuation earlier
    Lol, +- means 'decisive advantage for white' and -+ means the same for black. It can be mate as well as great material advantage, e.g. a spare queen or a rook when queens are exchanged or a pawn that is to promote in an endgame.