Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. Standard member Alex011893
    The High Rate Clan
    05 Aug '05 04:04
    Here is a challenge.On a board,place 12 knights so all the squares on the board are occupied or threatened.Good Luck.

2. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    05 Aug '05 05:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Alex011893
    Here is a challenge.On a board,place 12 knights so all the squares on the board are occupied or threatened.Good Luck.

This should do it.

skeeter
  3. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    05 Aug '05 05:35
    Originally posted by skeeter
    This should do it.

[fen]8/5n2/1nn1nn2/2n5/5n2/2nn1nn1/2n5/8[/fen]

skeeter
    What I've just noticed is that the board is also perfectly asymetrical.

skeeter
  4. 05 Aug '05 09:16
    Since it's solved, here's something amazing that i found recently about the so called knight tour. If you scroll down a bit (to the colored section) you will find the "SUPER magic square"....awesome, how the numbers in all columns, rows and quadrants add up in perfection.

http://www.edcollins.com/chess/knights-tour.htm
  5. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    05 Aug '05 13:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    Since it's solved, here's something amazing that i found recently about the so called knight tour. If you scroll down a bit (to the colored section) you will find the "SUPER magic square"....awesome, how the numbers in all columns, ro ...[text shortened]... in perfection.

http://www.edcollins.com/chess/knights-tour.htm
    That's quite amazing. Anyone has a maths explanation for this? It can't be a coincidence...can it?
  6. Standard member Alex011893
    The High Rate Clan
    05 Aug '05 16:45
    thanks to all.
  7. 12 Aug '05 12:49
    Originally posted by skeeter
    This should do it.

[fen]8/5n2/1nn1nn2/2n5/5n2/2nn1nn1/2n5/8[/fen]

skeeter
    how did you insert the chess board graphic?
  8. Standard member Alex011893
    The High Rate Clan
    12 Aug '05 17:59
    that is easy..
  9. 25 Aug '05 23:38
    place all 8 queens on the board that each other wont treaten or pass each other.
  10. 26 Aug '05 16:39
    Originally posted by inipsianini
    place all 8 queens on the board that each other wont treaten or pass each other.
    While this has already been done I did notice the word "all" that you placed before the 8 queens. Now the number of all possible queens would be 18 (2 from the beginning and 16 promoted). However I am uncertain if there is a legal sequence of moves leading to such position, and if there is, what is the shortest game that produces 18 queens?
  11. 26 Aug '05 17:05
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    While this has already been done I did notice the word "all" that you placed before the 8 queens. Now the number of all possible queens would be 18 (2 from the beginning and 16 promoted). However I am uncertain if there is a legal sequence of moves leading to such position, and if there is, what is the shortest game that produces 18 queens?
    16 promoted queens is not possible. There are only 7 non-pawn pieces reach side to capture. A pawn has to capture something to get behind the opposing pawn.
  12. 26 Aug '05 20:42
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    16 promoted queens is not possible. There are only 7 non-pawn pieces reach side to capture. A pawn has to capture something to get behind the opposing pawn.
    I may be counting wrong but here's my idea: both sides have 6 spare pieces to be captured (excluding the queens and kings).
    White gets 3 pawns at the g file with two captures (f and h pawn), 3 pawns at the d file with two more captures (c and e pawn) and lastly one more capture to get two pawns at b file (a-pawn); Black in similar manner get 3 on c and f files and h and a file pawns remain on their files. That's 5 captures from White and 4 on Black's part, accounting for 9 of the twelve spare pieces. Then the queens are promoted on the respective files.
  13. 26 Aug '05 21:28
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    I may be counting wrong but here's my idea: both sides have 6 spare pieces to be captured (excluding the queens and kings).
    White gets 3 pawns at the g file with two captures (f and h pawn), 3 pawns at the d file with two more captures (c and e pawn) and lastly one more capture to get two pawns at b file (a-pawn); Black in similar manner get 3 on c and f f ...[text shortened]... counting for 9 of the twelve spare pieces. Then the queens are promoted on the respective files.
    It's possible. Just did it. No PGN sorry. It was utterly long, but not hard. Just a matter of moving stuff around.