Math Question

Math Question

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
01 Jun 06

Originally posted by xcomradex
"studying"? "philosophy"? oxymoron?
Seriously funny.

N

Small Town Manitoba

Moves
17 Jun 06

G

B is for bye bye

Moves
17 Jun 06

Its always the safe pilot who entrusts the lives of xymself, xyr crew and all of the passengers to electrons rather than taking the time to actually learn how to fly.

I bet your the kind of pilot who wishes that all of the flying bits could be done by just pressing a big red button labelled 'Push'. I had a pilot like you almost land on top of me while I was backtracking a runway (with plenty of radio communication). He just thought that the skies should open up for him and everyone else get out of the way. If you aren't a pilot yet then my suggestion is to not become one until you get a brain and some maturity.

f

Moves
19 Jun 06

Originally posted by Gastel
Its always the safe pilot who entrusts the lives of xymself, xyr crew and all of the passengers to electrons rather than taking the time to actually learn how to fly.

I bet your the kind of pilot who wishes that all of the flying bits could be done by just pressing a big red button labelled 'Push'. I had a pilot like you almost land on top of me while I w ...[text shortened]... a pilot yet then my suggestion is to not become one until you get a brain and some maturity.
Sir, I was actually kidding when I made that statement. I'm not the type of guy who just wants push buttons, and in fact that's why I'm taking this algebra course, so I can be a better, safe, competent pilot (so I'm not so reliant on computers).

I have taken dozens of aviation safety courses, and read hundreds of NTSB reports till I was almost to the point where I'm scared stiff to fly.

I take flying seriously, Im already a pilot, but I do thank you for your suggestion. Ben

G

B is for bye bye

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by flyUnity
... I'm not the type of guy who just wants push buttons, and in fact that's why I'm taking this algebra course, so I can be a better, safe, competent pilot (so I'm not so reliant on computers). ...
I'm glad to hear that. I've had too many experiences with 'pilots' who did not have that same philosophy. I was always booked for lessons behind a guy who didn't believe he needed ground school, just a bunch of technical junk. I would always be delayed on my take-offs because my instructor was so pissed off, he needed a few moments to decompress before we set out.

I also had a friend who trashed his own plane by being sloppy on take-offs. It is fortunate that he didn't die, but I know others who did. I find it amazing that so many people take their pilot training so flippantly.

Anyway, glad to hear that you don't rely on GPSs etc, but realize they are just an aid.

a

Moves
20 Jun 06

and in fact that's why I'm taking this algebra course
and i always thought they taught algebra in high school, course if you didn't learn it then i don't see how you expect to master it now to the point where it will aid your piloting abilities. Thats not to say i don't think learning algebra is a bad idea i just don't think knowing algebra makes you a better pilot (or a better anything at all really).

G

B is for bye bye

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by aginis
a... i just don't think knowing algebra makes you a better pilot (or a better anything at all really).
Wow! How extremely far sighted of you.

a

Moves
20 Jun 06

Wow! How extremely far sighted of you.
when was the last time you used algebra for something?

G

B is for bye bye

Moves
20 Jun 06

when was the last time you used algebra for something?
Daily. I'm an engineer. But keep digging.

f

Moves
20 Jun 06

and i always thought they taught algebra in high school, course if you didn't learn it then i don't see how you expect to master it now to the point where it will aid your piloting abilities. Thats not to say i don't think learning algebra is a bad idea i just don't think knowing algebra makes you a better pilot (or a better anything at all really).
I didn't take Algebra in high school. I was home schooled, and my parents replaced the algebra courses with Mechanics, Desktop Publishing, and Drafting courses, in which I found valuable. However Algebra IMO is a big part of aviation. Lets say your flying on a VFR flight plan, (Which means you cant enter the clouds without permission from ATC), as your flying along you notice the ceiling of the clouds is getting lower and lower. Are you going to make it to your destination? You could either keep flying hoping that you can, with a chance you accidentally get into bad weather illegally, or you can do some math and get a rough idea of what its going to be so you can plan ahead of time of what to do.

((((T - D) / 4.5) * 1000) + S).

T = Temperature
D = Dew point
S = Measure Station Altitude above Sea Level

I still got a ways to go on my math, but finding it very useful.

f

Moves
23 Jun 06

I didn't take Algebra in high school. I was home schooled, and my parents replaced the algebra courses with Mechanics, Desktop Publishing, and Drafting courses, in which I found valuable. However Algebra IMO is a big part of aviation. Lets say your flying on a VFR flight plan, (Which means you cant enter the clouds without permission from ATC), as your flyi ...[text shortened]... n Altitude above Sea Level

Or this might happen....

http://www.naats.org/docs/flightassist.mp3

skip the first min if your in a hurry for time

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
23 Jun 06

I didn't take Algebra in high school. I was home schooled, and my parents replaced the algebra courses with Mechanics, Desktop Publishing, and Drafting courses, in which I found valuable. However Algebra IMO is a big part of aviation. Lets say your flying on a VFR flight plan, (Which means you cant enter the clouds without permission from ATC), as your flyi ...[text shortened]... n Altitude above Sea Level

That's not a very good example of when algebra is useful. Personally I'd concentrate on flying the plane.

f

Moves
23 Jun 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Personally I'd concentrate on flying the plane.
Thats why your not a pilot, there more to flying the plane, then just "flying the plane"

G

B is for bye bye

Moves
23 Jun 06

Thats why your not a pilot, there more to flying the plane, then just "flying the plane"
But Aviate, Navigate, Communicate is the order. The vector geometry can wait until after your sure you can fly the plane properly.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
23 Jun 06

But Aviate, Navigate, Communicate is the order. The vector geometry can wait until after your sure you can fly the plane properly.
(and only then do you tell us this, okay?) 😉