Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 03 Jun '04 01:37
    In the following multiplication sum, all the figures have been replaced with asterisks. Given that each figure is a prime number (2, 3, 5, 7), can you reconstruct the problem and find the answer?

    * * * X
    * *
    -----------
    * * * *
    * * * *
    -----------
    * * * * *

    -Ray.
  2. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    03 Jun '04 06:35
    Except for the 13th, that should be a 0 if you were taught to multiply in the same way as i
  3. 03 Jun '04 16:14 / 2 edits
    Darn! The system left-justified my text.

    Here is the proper formatting:

    _____*_*_* X
    _______*_*
    -------------
    ____* * * *
    __* * * *
    -------------
    __* * * * *

    -Ray.

    Why does the system collapse multiple spaces???
  4. 03 Jun '04 16:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by rgoudie
    Darn! The system left-justified my text.

    Here is the proper formatting:

    : * * * X
    : * *
    : -----------
    : * * * *
    : * * * *
    : -----------
    : * * * * *

    -Ray.
    I defy you to get right justification in this rather annoying message editor without inserting . characters or somesuch rather than spaces / tabs.
  5. 03 Jun '04 16:19
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    I defy you to get right justification in this rather annoying message editor without inserting . characters or somesuch rather than spaces / tabs.
    I stand defied.
    I could not do it.

    -Ray.
  6. Donation Acolyte
    Now With Added BA
    03 Jun '04 20:48
    __775
    x__33
    ------
    _2325
    23250
    ------
    25575

    I believe this is the only solution, but justifying that might be a bit long-winded.
  7. 03 Jun '04 23:56
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    __775
    x__33
    ------
    _2325
    23250
    ------
    25575

    I believe this is the only solution, but justifying that might be a bit long-winded.
    Correct on all counts!

    -Ray.