Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. 16 Aug '03 13:21 / 1 edit
    Forgive me . . . this riddle is kind of silly and probably very easy. I would guess that a few minutes on the Web could find the solution, if you can't get it right off:
    I have two Vietnamese co-workers named Tam and Thanh. This is a true story, by the way. Tam one day in conversation said to me, "Thanh is a different kind of monkey than I am." That was no accident. His English is quite good and he meant what he said. Now, out of context that's pretty funny. In context it made sense. So the challenge is:
    Name that context.
    Two hints: 1) Thanh is twelve years older than Tam, and 2) In Vietnam they celebrate the Chinese New Year.
    What was Tam talking about? (I hope my hints didn't totally give it away).

-huntingbear
  2. 16 Aug '03 15:50
    Both born in the year of the monkey.?
  3. 16 Aug '03 16:39
    Originally posted by Paulie
    Sounds right - Do they combine the year animal with an element, so a group of five people could be an earth monkey, a metal monkey, a water monkey, a wood monkey and a fire monkey?
  4. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    16 Aug '03 16:43
    What about a "Full Metal Monkey"?
  5. 16 Aug '03 16:53
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Sounds right - Do they combine the year animal with an element, so a group of five people could be an earth monkey, a metal monkey, a water monkey, a wood monkey and a fire monkey?
    Possible, if you`ve ever watched the series. There was some pretty wierd stuff going on there.
  6. 16 Aug '03 18:39
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    What about a "Full Metal Monkey"?
    Dunno about that, I think a full water monkey is more likely

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=water%20monkey
  7. 17 Aug '03 00:12

I knew it was too easy! Oh well.
    Tam said if they were born sixty years apart they'd be the same kind of monkey.
    I mostly posted because the out-of-context quote was so funny
    Thanks guys!

-huntingbear