Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    30 Jun '04 19:32
    Hey, some verification please:

Can you make a sequence with a period of 4 that satisfies x(0) = 1 and

x(n)^2 + x(n-1)^2 = 4x(n)x(n-1) - 3?

(This is the tail end of a STEP question -- I got one that works, but I think this one's worth asking the general public because it has some interesting generalizations.)
  2. Donation Acolyte
    Now With Added BA
    30 Jun '04 20:04
    x(0) = 1
    x(1) = 2
    x(2) = 7
    x(3) = 2

etc

I believe this is the unique answer of period 4 s.t. x(0) = 1.

Let me guess: a further problem is to find the solution such that x(0) = 1, x(n) > x(n-1) for all n (which incidentally gives all solution sequences containing 1). It would indeed be interesting if this was an integer sequence.
  3. 30 Jun '04 20:14
    I found the following sequence, but it doesn't seem to possess a period of 4.

S(n) = 1, 2, 7, 26, 97, ...

-Ray.
  4. 30 Jun '04 20:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    x(0) = 1
    x(1) = 2
    x(2) = 7
    x(3) = 2

etc

Let me guess: a further problem is to find the solution such that x(0) = 1, x(n) > x(n-1) for all n (which incidentally gives ...[text shortened]... . It would indeed be interesting if this was an integer sequence.
    Ah, you used the factor of 2 on the fourth iteration whereas I used the factor of 26. That is why I kept diverging.

-Ray.
  5. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    04 Jul '04 13:49
    x(0) = 1
    x(1) = 2
    x(2) = 7
    x(3) = 2

etc

Let me guess: a further problem is to find the solution such that x(0) = 1, x(n) > x(n-1) for all n (which incidentally gives all solution sequences containing 1). It would indeed be interesting if this was an integer sequence.
    The cardinal rule of exams is that when one's answer is an integer (or a periodic sequence of them!) one is supposed to be confident in one's rightness .

Actually, you can solve your problem if you haven't already by looking at the two simpler relations which can hold if the first condition does. One is that x(n) = x(n-2). What is the other?

Well done, BTW. This was the last bit of a STEP question; we had to prove a few preliminaries, find this sequence, and show it to be unique.

6. Donation Acolyte
    Now With Added BA
    04 Jul '04 19:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Actually, you can solve your problem if you haven't already by looking at the two simpler relations which can hold if the first condition does. One is that x(n) = x(n-2). What is the other?
    My sequence, if it is exists, is strictly increasing and hence aperiodic.
  7. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    05 Jul '04 04:17
    My sequence, if it is exists, is strictly increasing and hence aperiodic.
    Sorry -- both properties needn't hold, just one.