1. back in business
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 13:282 edits
    you have two envelopes (marked as A and B) on a table, both containing money. the only thing you know is that one of the envelopes contains twice as much money as the other one does. you open the A envelope and there is 100$ in it. now, you have two options: 1) either take the 100$ and go home, or 2) open the another (B) envelope and you get all the money it contains, but not the 100$ that was in A.

now the reasoning could go: there is a 50% chance that B contains 50$, and 50% that B contains 200$. so if I open the B envelope, I can only lose 50$ but win 100$. therefore I should choose the B envelope. yet had he chosen the B envelope at the first place, the exactly same reasoning could still be done. how is that possible?

sorry von, i edited it...
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 13:31
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    you have two envelopes (marked as A and B) on a table, both containing money. the only thing you know is that one of the envelopes contains twice as much money as the other one does. you open the A envelope and there is 100$ in it. now, you have two options: 1) either take the 100$ and go home, or 2) open the another (B) envelope and you get all the money it contains, but not the 100$ that was in A.

what would you do and why?
    go for B
    since you have less to lose...
    if B has more $$$ then it contains 200 which you gain by 100
    if B has less $$$ then it contains 50, which you lose by 50
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 15:35
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Simple... the barber doesn't need to shave herself.

Richard
    Nice try, but the barber is a man.
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 15:431 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Nice try, but the barber is a man.
    Otherwise he'd be a barbara? 😉
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 15:50
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    you have two envelopes (marked as A and B) on a table, both containing money. the only thing you know is that one of the envelopes contains twice as much money as the other one does. you open the A envelope and there is 100$ in it. now, you have two options: 1) either take the 100$ and go home, or 2) open the another (B) envelope and you get all the money it c ...[text shortened]... e exactly same reasoning could still be done. how is that possible?

sorry von, i edited it...
    Here's a posted discussion:

http://mathproblems.info/prob6s.htm

And here's an "exhaustive analysis" of this paradox, referenced in the above article:

www.u.arizona.edu/~chalmers/papers/envelope.html

The analysis describes a method to increase your chances of picking the bigger envelope by using an increasing function and a random number.
  6. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 01:17
    What about the paradox: "Can an almight God (creator/force/God/etc.) make a rock so big that he couldn't move it?"

-If God is omnipotent, he should be able to make a huge rock big enough that he can't move it, but he should still be able to move it because he can do anything...
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 02:05
    Originally posted by smomofo
    After A friend was dumped, his quote was: "Chicks are for fags."
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bloodhoundgang/iwishiwasqueersoicouldgetchicks.html
  8. Joined
    23 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 03:42
    russels paradox

Part of the foundation of mathematics, Russell's paradox (also known as Russell's antinomy), discovered by Bertrand Russell in 1901, showed that the naive set theory of Frege leads to a contradiction.

Let M be "the set of all sets that do not contain themselves as members". Formally: A is an element of M if and only if A is not an element of A.

Nothing in the system of Frege's Grundgesetze rules out M being a well-defined set. If M contains itself, M is not a member of M according to the definition. If M does not contain itself, then M has to be a member of M, again by the very definition of M. The statements "M is a member of M" and "M is not a member of M" cannot both be true, thus the contradiction (but see Independence from Excluded Middle below).
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 04:57
    Originally posted by Ason Pigg2
    russels paradox

Part of the foundation of mathematics, Russell's paradox (also known as Russell's antinomy), discovered by Bertrand Russell in 1901, showed that the naive set theory of Frege leads to a contradiction.

Let M be "the set of all sets that do not contain themselves as members". Formally: A is an element of M if and only if A is not an el ...[text shortened]... both be true, thus the contradiction (but see Independence from Excluded Middle below).
    Isn't this a fragment from Wikipedia? You should give credit.
  10. Joined
    23 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 05:08
    Isn't this a fragment from Wikipedia? You should give credit.
    oh plz i could type it if i want i just didn't bother to.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 05:35
    oh plz i could type it if i want i just didn't bother to.
    It's just common courtesy.. and it lets readers know where to go if they want to learn more.
  12. Joined
    23 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 05:46
    It's just common courtesy.. and it lets readers know where to go if they want to learn more.
    everybody knows what wikipidia is
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 06:07
    everybody knows what wikipidia is
    I think you're missing the point. When you copy something from a book or another source, unless it's obvious who the author is, you need to credit that source so people won't think the words are yours. Otherwise, it's plagiarism.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 07:58
    But Russels paradox isn't a paradox anymore if you use modern logic definitions, is it?

I say that there are no paradoxes in a well defined logic.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 08:10
    I think you're missing the point. When you copy something from a book or another source, unless it's obvious who the author is, you need to credit that source so people won't think the words are yours. Otherwise, it's plagiarism.
    He's right, Pigg.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree