1. Standard memberopsoccergurl11
    rockin soccer kid
    over there
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 15:03
    a boatful of survivors from a shipwreck that lived on an island for a month arrive in san francisco. one man goes to a bar and orders pelican soup. the bartender brings him the soup, and after taking a sip, he burst into tears. my goodness, is the soup that bad? said the bartender.
    o the man replied, ut i just found out how my wife died. how did his wife die?
  2. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 15:22
    Hmmm, did he see her wedding ring in the soup? 😕

-Ray.

P.S. Is pelican soup what I think it is? Sounds gross. 😛
  3. Standard memberopsoccergurl11
    rockin soccer kid
    over there
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 15:23
    no, the wedding ring wasnt in the soup...and yes, im sure pelican soup is very nasty
  4. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 15:24
    By the way, thanks for posting a few of these. Now, I can have some fun, too. 😀

-Ray.
  5. Standard memberopsoccergurl11
    rockin soccer kid
    over there
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 15:25
    youre welcome...we needed some fresh air in this forum....there wasnt much in the way of new puzzles
  6. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 17:545 edits
    Originally posted by opsoccergurl11
    a boatful of survivors from a shipwreck that lived on an island for a month arrive in san francisco. one man goes to a bar and orders pelican soup. the bartender brings him the soup, and after taking a sip, he burst into tears. my go ...[text shortened]... lied, ut i just found out how my wife died. how did his wife die?
    His wife was severely allergic to lobster.

The wrecked passengers and crew lasted a some time on salvaged provisions from the wreck but eventually those ran out apart from a box of tins of soup.

The soup labels had all been washed off but they knew the ship had been going to serve a choice of lobster soup or pelican soup. The shipwreckees were fairly sure that the soup was pelican (and he was absolutely certain) but no matter how much he pleaded with her his wife wouldn't try any. She gradually became delusional from thirst and eventually lapsed into unconciousness.

Of course then he took matters into his own hands and spooned some pelican soup soup into his wife's mouth to sustain her. But that night she died anyway. The next day a passing ship saw a signal fire lit by the shipwreckees and they were rescued. He has this nagging worry that it might not have been pelican soup, so the first chance he gets he orders some. When he tastes the real pelican soup he realises he must have poisoned his wife.
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Jul '04 19:59
    Um...is this seriously the answer?
  8. Standard memberopsoccergurl11
    rockin soccer kid
    over there
    Moves
    17 Jul '04 01:34
    well, it works, but is not the answer i wuz looking for.... my answer has the same - well, i wont say

i thought about it a bit, and realized its a lot like a red herring, so feel free to ask any yes or no questions
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    17 Jul '04 03:13
    Well the answer could be any fantasitic situation, like, the folks got shipwrecked, and his wife was killed and "mysteriously disappeared." The other folks took her and made soup out of her but didn't tell the husband, telling him that it was pelican soup. After he was rescued he really ate it, it tasted different and he cried.

It fits the facts, but really how plausible is it? It's not as much a puzzler but a test of how creatively (or morbidly) you can think to create a scenario that fits all of the disparate facts.
  10. Standard memberopsoccergurl11
    rockin soccer kid
    over there
    Moves
    17 Jul '04 15:16
    well, nemesio, how would it amke u feel if i told u that u gtot the answer i wuz looking for?

yeah, after the first few posts, i realized it was a red herring, and so yes, its a lot of creativity thrown in to boot.
  11. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    19 Jul '04 23:31
    So, exactly how *did* his wife die then?
  12. Standard memberopsoccergurl11
    rockin soccer kid
    over there
    Moves
    20 Jul '04 02:23
    you just want the straight up answer? no more guessing?
  13. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    20 Jul '04 13:55
    I thought you said nemesio got it right?
  14. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    21 Jul '04 07:30
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    I thought you said nemesio got it right?
    ok - one the basis that we haven't got it yet, some yes/no questions.

Had he drunk some pelican soup before?
    Had his wife drunk some pelican soup before?
    Had he drunk some soup he thought was pelican before?
    Had his wife drunk some soup she though was pelican before?
    Had he drunk some other kind of soup?
    Had his wife drunk some other kind of soup?
  15. Standard memberopsoccergurl11
    rockin soccer kid
    over there
    Moves
    22 Jul '04 18:01
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    ok - one the basis that we haven't got it yet, some yes/no questions.

Had he drunk some pelican soup before?
    see below
    Had his wife drunk some pelican soup before?
    doesnt matter
    Had he drunk some soup he thought was pelican before?
    yes
    Had his wife drunk some soup she though was pelican before?
    doesnt matter
    Had he drunk some other kind of soup?
    yes
    Had his wife drunk some other kind of soup?

doesnt matter

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree