Infinity minus 1 is pretty darn close.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 06:21
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    I'm sure its not even close to infinite,

Originally posted by Palynka
    There's no such thing as close to infinity.
    He just said that: "its not even close to infinite"
  3. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 12:14
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "Not at all close to infinity" is just as close to infinity as "close to infinity". Reveal Hidden Content
    Q.E.D.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 13:15
    Would you agree that 2 is closer to infinity than 1 ???
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 14:062 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Interesting question!

Actually it is not. Why? Because there is exactly the same number of integers from one to infinity as from two to infinity.
  6. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 14:34
    Infinity - 2 = infinity
    Infinity - 1 = infinity

Two is one step in the right direction though 😉
  7. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 18:03
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    heinzkat's post in opposition to this statement is at its heart true, but in my humble opinion uses the same flawed framing of infinity that Traveling Again's statement uses incorrectly. The common misconception to treat "infinity" as a number is in itself incorrect and leads to the false supposition that the concept "infinity minus one" is a number one away from "infinity."

but infinity really, i would say, is a limit. or in some cases, a "direction." it is in its essence innumerable and by definition unquantifiable. hence the concept of a number [infinity - 1] doesn't really make any sense.

what heinzkat really means to say i think is that if you take a finite quantity of things away from an infinite number of things, you still have an infinite number of things left. another way of seeing it would be to say that any real finite number (no matter how incredibly large, or perhaps even conceptually daunting) has an infinite number of real numbers larger than it.

but the question of whether 2 is closer to infinity than 1 is an interesting one... and i would argue that, in fact, it is no closer, as have others in this thread before me. consider the fact that the set A={1,2,3,4,...} and the set B={1,4,9,16,...} are exactly the same size even though B is a subset of A! it seems that our intuition about counting things often fails us when dealing with things that are by definition not bounded by finite conception.

imagine two gigantic piles of apples and oranges. if we were to compare their size, we COULD try to count all the apples, THEN count all the oranges, and compare the numbers. but another way would be to grab an apple and an orange, and put them aside. then repeat over and over until one pile is gone and the other has leftovers - the one with leftovers would be larger. if there are none left over, then the two piles were the same size. this is akin to creating a one-to-one relationship between two sets. so then to answer the question of whether 2 is closer to infinity than 1, if we can map the set G = {2,3,4,...} to the set H={3,4,5,...} in a one-to-one relationship, then the sets will be of equal size. in other words, there will be just as many numbers larger than one as there are larger than two, and so 1 and 2 will be equally close to infinity.

but the one-to-one relationship is relatively easy to define. for any number n in set G, associate it with the number (n+1) in H. every number in G has a corresponding "buddy" in H, and so the two sets are of equal size. hence, 2 is no closer to infinity than 1.

whew! long-winded post i hope i didn't scare anyone (or piss anyone) off! 🙂
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 18:55
    Originally posted by Aetherael
    heinzkat's post in opposition to this statement is at its heart true, but in my humble opinion uses the same flawed framing of infinity that Traveling Again's statement uses incorrectly. The common misconception to treat "infinity" as a number is in itself incorrect and leads to the false supposition that the concept "infinity minus one" is a numbe ...[text shortened]... 1.

whew! long-winded post i hope i didn't scare anyone (or piss anyone) off! 🙂
    You don't have to use so many words...

The essentials was in my posting:

Actually it is not. Why? Because there is exactly the same number of integers from one to infinity as from two to infinity.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 19:12
    mmmm Is 2 closer to 10 than 1?
    There are an infinite number of numbers beween 1 and 10 and aslo between 2 and 10. Therefore they are just as close?
  10. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 19:39
    mmmm Is 2 closer to 10 than 1?
    There are an infinite number of numbers beween 1 and 10 and aslo between 2 and 10. Therefore they are just as close?
    I remember my professor, years ago, standing against the wall on one side of the classroom:

"It is 20 ft to the other wall," he pointed across the room. "However, before I can step across
    20 ft, I must first cross 1 ft, and before I cross 1 ft, I must cross 1 inch. And before I can
    cross 1 inch, I must cross .1 inch, and before I can cross .1 inch, I must cross .0001 inch.
    And before I cross .0001 inch, I must first across .000000001," and so forth. He dragged it
    on much longer to make his point.

"As you can see," he exclaimed, "I must cross an infinite number of fractions of length before I
    can make it 20 ft across the room. These fractions of length, as small as they may be, are still
    an infinite amount. Theoretically, it is impossible for me to walk across this room to the wall
    that is only 20 ft away, as it would be impossible to cross an infinite amount of distance."

I've always thought that was a great demonstration of the idea of infinity.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 23:48
    Interesting question!

My Fairy Godmother visited me and contrary to popular belief only allowed me ONE wish (something to do with world recession).

I wished for a never emptying wallet of money (i.e. an infinite amount).

She said I wasnt allowed this (World recession again!!)

She gave me choice of 1 billion Euros or 2 billion Euros.

Which do you think was closest to my original wish??
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 05:41
    My Fairy Godmother visited me and contrary to popular belief only allowed me ONE wish (something to do with world recession).

I wished for a never emptying wallet of money (i.e. an infinite amount).

She said I wasnt allowed this (World recession again!!)

She gave me choice of 1 billion Euros or 2 billion Euros.

Which do you think was closest to my original wish??
    I once found a spirit in a bottle, let him out, and was granted three wishes. A asked for (1) a Pizza Margerita with extra cheese, (2) a big chilled coke with a slice of lemon, hold the ice, and ... the spirit interupted me and gave me an advice "Fab (May I call you Fab, Fabian?), wouldn't you care to think it over more closely about the third wish? You cannot spoil the wishes on food and drinks only, you know...?" "Well, dear spirit, the first two wishes is not important the third is. I know." "So what is your third wish?" "I want Reveal Hidden Content
    three more wishes!
    "

If we speak mathematically 2 billion euros is not nearer to infinity than any other finite amount of euro are. But that is not how we percieve numbers. Infinity is not easy to grasp. Georg Cantor was the first on giving a precise definition about infinite numbers (and even transfinite numbers) at 1874 ff. Before that infinity was only intuitive, and sometimes all wrong. (Even Galilei knew that the number of squares was the same as the number of integers, but I cannot veryfy it with a source.)

So, of course, 2 is nearer to infinity than 1 is, but not strict mathematically.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 13:09
    Did you hear of the Irishman, marooned on a desert island who found a bottle on the beach. with a quick rub a genie popped out offering him 2 wishes.

The Irishman had been on the island without a drink for many months so his first wish was an everlasting bottle of Guiness. POW! His wish was granted and the Irishman glugged happily from the magic bottle which kept refilling.

"So what do you want for your second wish?" asked the Genie.

Without any hesistation the Irishman said "I'll have another one of these!"
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 15:39
    And? If X doesn't exist then saying "it's not even X" doesn't make sense.

Try again.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 15:39
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    It's not close, it's the same thing!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree