1. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 03:56
    Answers to questions:
    No there is no way for the prisoners to communicate once the first prisoner enters the room. The strategy must be completely decided before that happens.

The optimal strategy has around a 1/3 chance of suceeding.

And of course obviously if every prisoner picks the same 50 boxes the chance of suceeding is 0 (as 50 prisoners will not be in those 50 boxes).
  2. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 06:06
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Answers to questions:
    1. No there is no way for the prisoners to communicate once the first prisoner enters the room. The strategy must be completely decided before that happens.

2. The optimal strategy has around a 1/3 chance of suceeding.

3. And of course obviously if every prisoner picks the same 50 boxes the chance of suceeding is 0 (as 50 prisoners will not be in those 50 boxes).
    Apologies for editing the quote (I hope I'm not spanked for this, as it seems to be the big no-no of the day). 🙄

Does point #1 imply that the prisoners cannot sort the boxes they check and leave them sorted?

Does point #3 imply that each prisoner has a different number? This seems to be what you're saying....
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 10:23
    My best guess is that each prisoner chooses a different combination of boxes such that each box gets chosen the same number of times. 100 prisoners x 50 choices per means 5000 choices for 100 boxes. This means each one should get picked 50 times somehow...
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 12:26
    The answer is 43.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 13:23
    Yah.. scary.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 15:51
    Answers to questions:
    No there is no way for the prisoners to communicate once the first prisoner enters the room. The strategy must be completely decided before that happens.

The optimal strategy has around a 1/3 chance of suceeding.

And of course obviously if every prisoner picks the same 50 boxes the chance of suceeding is 0 (as 50 prisoners will not be in those 50 boxes).
    From a practical standpoint, the prisoners could agree to bend the left side of the box if it was an odd number inside, and bend the right side of the box, if it was an even number.

Then if your number was even you would just open the boxes that had bends in the right side of the box until you found yours.

It would all depend on the first prisoner actually finding his number but the odds would be raised to 50% since 50 boxes would be even and 50 boxes would be odd. With 100 prisoners, the odds would be 100% if the first prisoner found his number.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 20:03
    further to the above...

Okay not quite 50 %...i suppose not all boxes would be identified soon enough to guarantee 100% accuracy...but the concept is there
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 20:24
    Yes every prisoner has a different number and no the solution does not involve any method of communication. The room will be left exactly as it was when they entered. No moving the boxes.

The solution would work if there were in fact 100 identical rooms and the prisoners entered one each at the same time.

Uzeless, your reasoning is wrong. The first prisoner would only be able to determine the odd/evenness of half the boxes (and would have a 50% chance of finding his own number). So unless he managed to find all odds or all evens (very low odds) the second prisoner would need to find odds/evens as well and would have a 50% chance of finding his own number (it would be interesting if the second prisoner was even and the first had found 40 evens and 10 odds, does the second look at the 40 known evens first?) and you have around a 25% chance. So you broke the rules of the puzzle and your solution still isn't as good as the optimal solution.
  9. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 10:221 edit
    How about this:

Group huddle - everyone gets a visible number, 1 to 100

First person ( any number ) into the room then labels all the boxes 1 to 100.
    That person then opens the box that matches her number. If that box does not contain her number then she opens the box of the number it does hold. She continues until she finds her number or until she has opened 49 boxes. In any event the next entrant goes to the numbered box of the last entrant and continues the process. That process should give better than a 1 in 3 chance of surviving.

No doubt Xanth will shoot it all to bits but I think the logic is there?

skeeter
  10. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 14:05
    The room is completely unmarkable, and will be reset to the exact same starting state for each prisoner.
    This rules out the Google-solution as that involved switching the contents of the boxes.
  11. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 17:14
    The google solution I found had nothing to do with switching boxes. You found a faulty answer.
  12. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 17:152 edits
    Skeeter, your answer is so similar in verbage to the google yielded response. I think you cheated. Still not 100% right though.
  13. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 19:16
    Originally posted by dmnelson84
    Skeeter, your answer is so similar in verbage to the google yielded response. I think you cheated. Still not 100% right though.
    Well knob jockey, if I googled it you'd think that I would get it 100% right, right?
    Jesus wept.

skeeter
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 21:17
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Well knob jockey, if I googled it you'd think that I would get it 100% right, right?
    Jesus wept.

skeeter
    Well clearly if you worked it out yourself you should have no trouble explaining why it works.

And anyway how do the prisoners label the boxes? Surely you mean they agree to count them from the left so that the room contents doesn't need to change?
  15. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 01:48
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Jesus wept.

skeeter
    Don't get all defensive on me. It only further insinuates your guilt.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree