1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 16:47
    Okay then, I believe that {} can be represented as zero.

By the way, my wallets content {1} day before the salary day is {}.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 21:34
    Originally posted by CZeke

castlerook: Yeah, that's the concept of ordered fields (fields don't in general have order), which is quite interesting. I recently attended a talk about totally ordered fields and there are some surprising things we can say about them. There are basically only a few fields they can be: for instance, if a totally ordered field is complete (all Cauchy sequence ...[text shortened]... 0

So if 1 is 0, then so is everything else in the ring, and it can only be the zero ring.[/b]
    Ah! That makes sense, thank you.
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 00:49
    I feel soooo -> 😛
  4. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 21:00
    Originally posted by Ramned
    I feel soooo -> 😛
    Don't worry, you'll figure it out some day 😉

We can even set up our own math college in this thread :p
  5. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    01 May '07 09:56
    I feel soooo -> 😛
    so do i. i was okay until i read this thread. and today has been quite a hardcore day so far (and its not even 11am!)-i've classified all groups up to order 15, started a program to calculate the ramsey number of (n,m), R(n,m), and i'm about to have a tutorial with a scary lecturer on, i believe, the Riemann integral.

i don't think i've ever looked at the natural numbers-they were always taken as said. it's the real numbers that are hard to define. dedekind cuts are baaaad!
  6. Under Cover
    Moves
    01 May '07 10:37
    Take a case of your favorite Beer (Samuel Adams for me). Drink zero of them. Not very satisfying. Now drink 1 of them...ahhh much better. Now walk away from the silly math problem and drink the rest of the beer...everything becomes much clearer.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 May '07 16:43
    These are questions to TheMaster37 or whoever can answer the questions I have.

I wasn't aware of the axioms of Zermelo and Frankel. But i know the axioms of Peano.

Didn't Peano cover it all? What does not Peano that Zermelo have and Frankel do have?

I short - what is the pros and cons to the axioms compared to eachother?
  8. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    01 May '07 17:02
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

I wasn't aware of the axioms of Zermelo and Frankel. But i know the axioms of Peano.

Didn't Peano cover it all? What does not Peano that Zermelo have and Frankel do have?

Aren't they just describing different things? Peano's axioms describe the natural numbers. The Zermelo-Frankel axioms describe set theory.

See, e.g., http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Zermelo-FraenkelAxioms.html
  9. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    02 May '07 09:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Peano describes only the natural numbers (without 0). Zermelo and Fraekel made axioms for set theory, wich includes an approach to numbers (ordinals). Z & F do have a 0 🙂

Z&F go on to describe structures of sets and prove all kinds of relations between sets and ordinals. Quite interesting if you're into math 🙂
  10. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 23:49
    cant you prove with logic??or is only math count as proof on these type of things
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '07 00:19
    wow. I bet that I can name 10 - 15 things that you guys just wrote that I do not understand, as a sophomore in H.S.

You guys, if indeed you are correct, must have taken a hardcore college class.
    i'm a sophomore too!
    we can be clueless together...
    i always thought one factorial was one
    so they lost me with that one....
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '07 00:261 edit
    as a H.S. sophomore, here's the best I can do...
    using the Reflexive
    Property of equality, we get:
    x=x
    let x=1
    therefore, by the transitive property,
    1=1
    let us now force a zero on the right side of this equation
    1=0
    we get this zero by subtracting one whole number from the right hand side of the equation
    simple algebra laws state that, with an equation, anything we do to one side, must be duplicaed on the opposite side in order to maintain equality...
    this gives us that we must subtract one from he left side to get the balanced equation: 1-1 =0 or zero equals zero
    if we do not subtract one from the left side, we get 1=0 or x=x-1

x=x-1 is not a balanced equation, therefore 1=0 is impossible

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree