1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 21:48
    The tries so far reveal the main difficulty of the problem. The pieces away from the black King must be logically tied together in purpose (every Black piece prevents another piece from either checking wK or blocking the check from wB). The difficulty is in closing the chain.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 21:49
    Originally posted by Peakite
    [fen]6B1/8/5p2/4br2/pp4b1/pkp3r1/1pqp3K/8 b - - 0 1[/fen]
    We have a winner! That's the intended solution.

The problem was composed by T.R. Dawson in 1935. The only blemish is that bRc2 can be used instead of a bQ [Black's 8th pawn could have promoted].
  3. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 15:41
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Pb6, c6, h6, h5, d2, Nc2, and Bc8 can all be removed without spoiling the mate.
    Oh! I thought you meant removing the d2 pawn spoils the mate.
  4. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 15:42
    BigDogg, I am interested in your puzzles that you composed. Can you post them here please?
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 20:25
    Originally posted by Alethia
    BigDogg, I am interested in your puzzles that you composed. Can you post them here please?
    Most of my compositions can be found via online search, and I'm not ready to give up my anonymity just yet.

Perhaps if I can find some unpublished work, I will show it.
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 03:00
    peakites solution cant work--in white's previous turn (when he was not in check) the d2 pawn cold have been moved (and promoted) and PRESTO! you have white in Checkmate! blacks last move souldnt have been to move a pawn from d3 because that would mean that the wK was previousl in check and had ignored it.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 03:10
    Originally posted by bjpcomet
    peakites solution cant work--in white's previous turn (when he was not in check) the d2 pawn cold have been moved (and promoted) and PRESTO! you have white in Checkmate! blacks last move souldnt have been to move a pawn from d3 because that would mean that the wK was previousl in check and had ignored it.
    Sure, Black probably blundered in the past to allow White to mate him with just a Bishop against 5 pieces and 6 pawns. But why is this relevant? The stipulation didn't ask for it.
  8. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '06 13:39
    Originally posted by bjpcomet
    By the way, you are not quite correct. A Promotion to Knight or Bishop would fail to mate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree