1. Joined
    03 Aug '12
    Moves
    15 Nov '13 16:58
    Yes Jo, I know what you mean. With some of the sub topics of maths it is very difficult to find 'real life' situations where what is being learnt can actually be used.

I remember when I was being taught the 'J' notation in pure maths. I asked the tutor what use was it, now that we can 'cheat' and take the sq root of a negative number.

The look of disgust I got was amazing and my question was never answered. I'm sure someone one day will tell me a use nut until then it seems it was an exercise just for the sake of it.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Nov '13 06:51
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Mathematics is a philosophical discipline. It works with a set of axoims and Operators and expands from there. Some physical phenomena can be described by mathematical formula.

It is pleasing to find a simple mathematical Expression to explain physical behaviour, but it is not proof that the theoretical Approach is correct.
    On the other hand minimizat ...[text shortened]... athematical minimization algorithm if you find a physical example (think dense sphere packings).
    I think that is a wonderful way to not answer a question, but I "feel" that the universe is truly mathematical, not physical.
  3. Joined
    03 Aug '12
    Moves
    17 Nov '13 08:37
    Sorry Jo, that was not intentional. Did not read your question thoroughly.

Got to hold hands up and say not quite sure what you mean by the universe being mathmatical and not physical. Would you mind expanding on your thoughts please?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 00:11
    Originally posted by eltricky
    Sorry Jo, that was not intentional. Did not read your question thoroughly.

Got to hold hands up and say not quite sure what you mean by the universe being mathmatical and not physical. Would you mind expanding on your thoughts please?
    I was responding to Ponderable, so it wasn't aimed at you.

As for expanding on my thoughts, I guess it just seems to me that Mathematics could very well stand on its own without the presence of Physics, but a Physics without Math would be a limited subject. Also, my opinion (as of now) is that the universe is ultimately just a simulation, so the "Physics" that we experience ( our reality ) is actually just the result of mathematics in the simulations programming.

It could even be that we are just androids. Look at what we are attempting to do with artificial intelligence ourselves. Its foreseeable that we will create an android that has enough intellect to question it own existence, when that happens, it should be like looking in the mirror for humanity, however I expect that most will not like what they see.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 12:24
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    I think that is a wonderful way to not answer a question, but I "feel" that the universe is truly mathematical, not physical.
    In a nutshell my answers are:

a) neither
    b) no
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 21:35
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    In a nutshell my answers are:

a) neither
    b) no
    Yeah, I gathered that much from your first response, but thanks for summarizing.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 22:581 edit
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    I was responding to Ponderable, so it wasn't aimed at you.

As for expanding on my thoughts, I guess it just seems to me that Mathematics could very well stand on its own without the presence of Physics, but a Physics without Math would be a limited subject. Also, my opinion (as of now) is that the universe is ultimately just a simulation, so the "Physics ...[text shortened]... like looking in the mirror for humanity, however I expect that most will not like what they see.
    http://addsdonna.com/ADDS_DONNA/Science_Fiction_files/2_Asimov_Reason.pdf

http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-i-robot/chapanal004.html
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Nov '13 22:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://addsdonna.com/ADDS_DONNA/Science_Fiction_files/2_Asimov_Reason.pdf

http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-i-robot/chapanal004.html
    Thanks, pretty interesting stuff!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree