Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 15 Nov '05 15:10 / 2 edits
    White to play. Outcome?

  2. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    15 Nov '05 15:45
    Stalemate! Very interesting. I'd lose that for sure OTB.
  3. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    15 Nov '05 17:22
    1.Kf2 appears to draw.
  4. 15 Nov '05 17:25
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    White to play. Outcome?

    [fen]8/8/8/1p2k3/4q3/4R1K1/8/8[/fen]
    Kf2 b4 Ke2 b3 Kd1
    Stalemate by either taking the queen and pawn or lack of a legal move.
  5. Standard member gaurav2711
    walking...
    15 Nov '05 17:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    Kf2 b4 Ke2 b3 Kd1
    Stalemate by either taking the queen and pawn or lack of a legal move.
    i dont understand.....why b4 after Kf2. Why not 1.Kf2 Kd5

    Edit: For me black wins.
  6. 15 Nov '05 18:02
    Originally posted by gaurav2711
    i dont understand.....why b4 after Kf2. Why not 1.Kf2 Kd5

    Edit: For me black wins.
    In that case after Kd5 white simply takes the queen
    Rxe4+ then Kxe4
    Ke2
    All black can do is move the pawn resulting in a draw anyway or move the king to Kd4 then white move to Kc2
    If white tries to advance the pawn whilst defending it with the king white can simply put his king on b1 or b2, stopping the pawn and refuting the king's attempt to get the king out of the way.
    With accurate play easily a draw.
  7. Standard member gaurav2711
    walking...
    15 Nov '05 18:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    In that case after Kd5 white simply takes the queen
    Rxe4+ then Kxe4
    Ke2
    All black can do is move the pawn resulting in a draw anyway or move the king to Kd4 then white move to Kc2
    If white tries to advance the pawn whilst defending it with the king white can simply put his king on b1 or b2, stopping the pawn and refuting the king's attempt to get the king out of the way.
    With accurate play easily a draw.
    i dont get it....1. Kf2 Kd5 2. Rxe4 Kxe4 3. Ke2 Kd4 4. Kd2 Kc4 5. Kc2 b4 6. Kb2 Kb5 7. Kb3 Ka5 8. Kb2 Ka4 9.Kb1 b3 10.Kb2 Kb4 11. Kb1 Ka3 and then black queens.... am i missing something??

    Edit: Ok i get it....sorry.....a1-b1 draw.
  8. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    15 Nov '05 18:18
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    1.Kf2 appears to draw.
    Oops, you're right.