Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 04 Jul '05 19:07
    In the position below
    a) White to play and selfmate in 5, the final move being RxN mate.
    b) Black to play and selfmate in 5, the final move being RxN mate.

  2. 04 Jul '05 20:44
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    In the position below
    a) White to play and selfmate in 5, the final move being RxN mate.
    b) Black to play and selfmate in 5, the final move being RxN mate.

    [fen]rnbqkb1r/pppppp1p/N5p1/8/n7/1P6/P1PPPPPP/RNBQKB1R[/fen]
    Is this possible? I cannot see how White can force Black to mate them /and in five moves no less!?/ or vice versa. Perhaps this is a helpmate problem?
  3. 04 Jul '05 20:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    In the position below
    a) White to play and selfmate in 5, the final move being RxN mate.
    b) Black to play and selfmate in 5, the final move being RxN mate.

    [fen]rnbqkb1r/pppppp1p/N5p1/8/n7/1P6/P1PPPPPP/RNBQKB1R[/fen]
    I can hardly believe this

    edit: oops I was not the first to mention this
  4. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    04 Jul '05 20:57
    Perhaps he meant 'helpmate?'
  5. 04 Jul '05 21:14
    Originally posted by ark13
    Perhaps he meant 'helpmate?'
    Yeah, sorry.
    I meant 'Helpmate in 5'.
  6. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    06 Jul '05 08:07
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    Yeah, sorry.
    I meant 'Helpmate in 5'.
    Please explain the rules, i don't know what help mate means officially.
  7. 06 Jul '05 08:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    Please explain the rules, i don't know what help mate means officially.
    It's a part of heterodox problems (helpmates and selfmates). In helpmates both sides cooperate to get the Black King (usually) mated; selfmate is when White forces Black to mate them (Black does not cooperate).
    Have a look here for more details:
    http://www.chess.freegames.eu.com/problems-puzzles/helpmate.html
  8. 06 Jul '05 08:32
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    It's a part of heterodox problems (helpmates and selfmates). In helpmates both sides cooperate to get the Black King (usually) mated; selfmate is when White forces Black to mate them (Black does not cooperate).
    Have a look here for more details:
    http://www.chess.freegames.eu.com/problems-puzzles/helpmate.html
    Given that, the poster of the puzzle should make it clear which side is going to be mated in a) resp. b).
  9. 06 Jul '05 09:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Given that, the poster of the puzzle should make it clear which side is going to be mated in a) resp. b).
    Although it is the convention with helpmates that Black moves first and is mated, there is no inherent reason why he should move first. However, this puzzle retains the convention that the side which moves first is mated.
  10. 06 Jul '05 17:19
    I'm stuck. Without the RxN condition it is easy to find several mates e.g
    1.f4 Bg7 2.e4 ~ 3.Kf2 ~ 4.Kg1 Bd4# but with it I always fall short of a move.
  11. 08 Jul '05 10:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    I'm stuck. Without the RxN condition it is easy to find several mates e.g
    1.f4 Bg7 2.e4 ~ 3.Kf2 ~ 4.Kg1 Bd4# but with it I always fall short of a move.
    Try 1. Nc5
  12. 08 Jul '05 20:14
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    Try 1. Nc5
    I did
  13. 11 Jul '05 17:13
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    I did
    Then try 1. Nc5 d5
  14. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    11 Jul '05 18:36
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    Then try 1. Nc5 d5
    It's hard to believe that Black's 1st move does nothing towards getting a Rook out. This is a tough problem! (or mistaken stip?!)
  15. 11 Jul '05 19:02 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It's hard to believe that Black's 1st move does nothing towards getting a Rook out. This is a tough problem! (or mistaken stip?!)
    Mistaken stip?

    Two (or more) moves may be interchangeable.