Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    02 May '05 21:27
    Construct the shortest possible game where one side delivers mate, but makes only pawn moves.
  2. Berks.
    Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    41991
    02 May '05 22:42
    Black mating on his sixth is the best I can see now.

    1. d3 d5
    2. Kd2 e5
    3. Ke3 f5
    4. Kf3 a6
    5. Kg3 b6
    6. Kh3 f4#
  3. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    02 May '05 22:461 edit
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Black mating on his sixth is the best I can see now.

    1. d3 d5
    2. Kd2 e5
    3. Ke3 f5
    4. Kf3 a6
    5. Kg3 b6
    6. Kh3 f4#
    Well done, but this can be improved.
  4. Berks.
    Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    41991
    02 May '05 22:581 edit
    I'd figured out it couldn't be the e-pawn for white moving, will let the queen through. Forgot to consider the f-pawn. In that case make it four.

    1. f3 e5
    2. Kf2 f5
    3. Kg3 d5
    4. Kh3 f4#
  5. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    02 May '05 23:135 edits
    Yes, the solution has 8 plies - but not those.
  6. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Joined
    16 Jan '05
    Moves
    12804
    02 May '05 23:141 edit
    Originally posted by Peakite
    I'd figured out it couldn't be the e-pawn for white moving, will let the queen through. Forgot to consider the f-pawn. In that case make it four.

    1. f3 e5
    2. Kf2 f5
    3. Kg3 d5
    4. Kh3 f4#
    Neither are mate, black can play g4 to block in both.
  7. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Just...the Dogg
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    123828
    03 May '05 00:17
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    Construct the shortest possible game where one side delivers mate, but makes only pawn moves.
    1.f3 e5 2.Kf2 h5 3.Kg3 h4+ 4.Kg4 d5#

Back to Top