1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Feb '11 18:122 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    An interesting question. Imagine a Google Earth that allows you to enter latitude and longitude and also enter a date, and the images that it goes to are from that location and that date. But it could not be like firing a projectile at a moving object, because you are right, near misses could be disastrous. It would have to be like navigating from here to the I still like the idea of sending information, which means interpretable signals, not people.
    I started watching a new science channel program narrated by Morgan Freeman, actually he is also the executive producer!, called Into the Wormhole, google it, you can find it on the science channel. I think it is the best popularization of science show in a long time, like Carl Sagan's Cosmos or Jacob Bronowski's Ascent of man.

Anyway, in one of the shows, he talks about time travel, and among the theories are timelike loops around massive strings and such and the idea is that space and time should really be called space-time since they are intrinsically linked in a fundamental way. So following a time loop is actually following space as well so you cover both time and space together. That would take care of my concern about a one dimensional change, that is to say, just time. If you JUST changed time you would of course land in free space if you went even a few minutes forward or back since the time it takes for the entire solar system to travel the diameter of the Earth is less than one minute but the timelike loop affair would take care of that, covering space and time simultaneously.

Of course at this stage of our scientific and technological level, we are far from producing enough 'negative energy' it would take to make a real wormhole or whatever possible. Maybe in a thousand years......
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '11
    Moves
    29 Mar '11 04:411 edit
    If the time loop sent stuff that happened in the time machine with me. I would go into the future get another new time machine that has more than one trip, go even further into the future get something that can destroy a meteorite go back to the time of the dinosaurs (just before the meteorite hits earth) destroy the meteorite.
    Then go back to modern day earth and see what changes have occurred
    eg If people existed and lived in peace with dinosaurs or if humans didn't exist or if humans had a massive war with dinosaurs

But so really wrong stuff didn't start happening I would again go back and convince myself not to destroy the meteorite.

here is what i would do

i finish with a clue
    Reveal Hidden Content
    the meteorite is the bundle of pieces at the top of the board
    the knights on either side are random dinosaurs
    the black king with the pawn is first me
    the white king is current me

sorry about the stuff that won't hide I'm trying it out

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree