1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Oct '05 01:27
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    Moving on from Spanners in space, and back to earth..........

If there is no wind present, the temperature is 75 degrees farenheit and humidity is at 35%, would one do a backflip if one sneezed and farted at the same time?
    Depends on the angle of the dangle🙂
    If you sneezed down, you would go "up" away from your feet,
    both biorectaloral vectors point down. If you sneezed with your head
    up, assuming rectal thrust to be the same as oral thrust, it would
    cancel out.
    Only if you sneezed up at about 45 degrees your biorectaloral
    discharge thrusters would send you in a spin.
  2. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 05:05
    Originally posted by perihelion
    Sorry! It might help if I didn't put my message in the 'previous post' box. Heres what its supposed to be:

Actually I think it there is a speed you can throw it (escape velocity) so it will never return. I was just playing with the numbers and am finding some wierd stuff. Physics people double check me on this...

Force of gravity = F(d) = G*m1* ...[text shortened]... spanner out of the cannon at some crazy speed, say 30000 m/s, it would still come back to you???
    True, there is a velocity at which you could throw your spanner and it would move away from you forever. I just feel it neccesary to point out once again that the spanner does not escapse your gravity, it will be slowing down for all eternity, but gravity weakens over distance and at escape velocity or higher it will never slow down enough to stop going forward.

I was seeing the problem more as if you kind of gently tossed the spanner, not sure what escape velocity for you would be anyway. So you are quite correct that the spanner could be launched at a speed where it would never even start to return, but it can't escape your gravity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree