Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    02 Aug '15 08:14 / 1 edit
    all numbers are unique
    some more than others
    my favorite number is the number 2
    first prime number and only even prime
    do you have a special number?
    maybe from a movie, a book or something historical?
  2. 02 Aug '15 09:01 / 1 edit
    Every positive integer number is interesting!

    Proof: Let's say that not all positive integer numbers is interesting.
    This means that there is at least one integer that is not interesting. Then there must be especially one integer that is the lowest non-interesting integer. A integer with this property is therefore interesting having this special unique property.
    This reasoning can be applied again. And again. And as there are infinitely many positive integers, then we can apply this reasoning forever. Meaning that the initial proposition has a contradiction.

    Therefore - all positive integer numbers are interesting! Q.E.D.
  3. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    02 Aug '15 10:36
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Every positive integer number is interesting!

    Proof: Let's say that not all positive integer numbers is interesting.
    This means that there is at least one integer that is not interesting. Then there must be especially one integer that is the lowest non-interesting integer. A integer with this property is therefore interesting having this special uniqu ...[text shortened]... osition has a contradiction.

    Therefore - all positive integer numbers are interesting! Q.E.D.
    I like numbers that have connections to historical figures like the taxi cab number 1729
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    02 Aug '15 18:09
    42
  5. 02 Aug '15 21:37
    What is the highest interesting number there is?
  6. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    02 Aug '15 22:47
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What is the highest interesting number there is?
    something to do with graham's number
    it's listed in guiness world record for largest number
  7. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    02 Aug '15 23:04
    should anyone find the first uninteresting number, that would make it interesting
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    03 Aug '15 04:00
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    should anyone find the first uninteresting number, that would make it interesting
    It was found, but nobody cared.
  9. Subscriber lemondrop
    scallywag
    03 Aug '15 04:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It was found, but nobody cared.
    that's interesting
  10. Subscriber radioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    03 Aug '15 08:11
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    all numbers are unique
    some more than others
    my favorite number is the number 2
    first prime number and only even prime
    do you have a special number?
    maybe from a movie, a book or something historical?
    That's because you are a no. 2.

    Have a nice day !!!
  11. 03 Aug '15 21:42
    the answer is 42. end of.
  12. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    04 Aug '15 07:57
    11
  13. Standard member forkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    04 Aug '15 19:24
    Originally posted by caissad4
    11
    There's where it goes...
  14. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    05 Aug '15 20:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Every positive integer number is interesting!

    Proof: Let's say that not all positive integer numbers is interesting.
    This means that there is at least one integer that is not interesting. Then there must be especially one integer that is the lowest non-interesting integer. A integer with this property is therefore interesting having this special uniqu ...[text shortened]... osition has a contradiction.

    Therefore - all positive integer numbers are interesting! Q.E.D.
    Isnt this like the condemned man paradox?

    A judge tells a condemned prisoner that he will be hanged at noon on one
    weekday in the following week but that the execution will be a surprise to the
    prisoner. He will not know the day of the hanging until the executioner knocks
    on his cell door at noon that day.

    The prisoner realises he cannot possibly be hung on the Friday.
    And with similar logic rules out Thursday, then Wednesday, then Tuesday, then Monday.

    To his surprise he is hung on Wednesday!
  15. 06 Aug '15 05:16
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Isnt this like the condemned man paradox?

    A judge tells a condemned prisoner that he will be hanged at noon on one
    weekday in the following week but that the execution will be a surprise to the
    prisoner. He will not know the day of the hanging until the executioner knocks
    on his cell door at noon that day.

    The prisoner realises he cannot po ...[text shortened]... sday, then Wednesday, then Tuesday, then Monday.

    To his surprise he is hung on Wednesday!
    Yes, it is, isn't it?

    The very number 5098456784564587943987643 isn't interesting if there are another 438743 interesting numbers that is less than the beforementioned one.

    I don't think the proof I gave is very serious...