1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 03:031 edit
    Originally posted by Randal
    how do you know the laser would shift up to blue? mighten it go invisible? to maybe UV? thats a question i got out of this riddle.

also, just like a jet passing mach 1 causes a large boom, what do u guys reckon would happen if a large vehicle passed C? im only in yr10 so simpler words are appreciated🙂
    I think its only fake energy in a way. It seems to have more energy but its only because of your movement. The actual light has the same energy it started with, it just acts funny when you go fast!
    The problem with going faster than C in a rocket is it would take more energy than the whole universe has all channeled into your rocket and you STILL would not get to C, forget going faster! Thats with rockets, the wormhole travel theory goes about it in a sneaky way, bending space, which is like a cloth, it can bend if you have enough mass close together, it can bend into itself and make a loop which could allow you to cross space in one jump rather than just driving through all that distance in a rocket. Its still theory stuff right now but maybe when you are grown up it might be real.
    The doppler shift thing is true, the light would blue shift and could end up being X rays if you are going fast enough.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 07:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Thats with rockets, the wormhole travel theory goes about it in a sneaky way, bending space, which is like a cloth, it can bend if you have enough mass close together, it can bend into itself and make a loop which could allow you to cross space in one jump rather than just driving through all that distance in a rocket. Its still theory stuff right now but maybe when you are grown up it might be real.
    This theory works well in theory but in reality you have to possess an enormous amount of energy. In practice it is impossible.
    I don't think it ever will be reality, not even in the deep future.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 08:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think its only fake energy in a way. It seems to have more energy but its only because of your movement. The actual light has the same energy it started with, it just acts funny when you go fast!
    The problem with going faster than C in a rocket is it would take more energy than the whole universe has all channeled into your rocket and you STILL would no ...[text shortened]... is true, the light would blue shift and could end up being X rays if you are going fast enough.
    no it's real energy.
  4. Joined
    17 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 09:33
    Good to see you muddled up with the details yet again !! This is a classic thought expt. What is inside the box ?? Did Galalao actualy through the ball from a moving house and see where it landed ?? No he did not, nor did Newton, Einst, Hawkin...ect, Wavelenght, red shift the lot is just what you are trying to quantify, but you are missing the pont. You did not even try to A the 10 graders Q! He asked if you could exp "with out big words" you did not and you are still in a muddle!!
  5. Joined
    17 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 09:38
    Y, you are correct. These other posters are just mixed up with the details. How fast are you going, or me, or them ??? A - they do not know!! In relation to what??? The earth... ect, my bedroom seams to me, not at all in motion. How does yours? Still or at lightspeed ???
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 21:13
    could you try that again only indicating who you are talking to. and with enough spelling and grammar to make your post inteligable.
  7. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    15 Jun '06 23:01
    Has anyone considered that the light also changes energy because of the momentum (2E/c) it imparts at each reflection? This would affect the entire system (the energy of the photon, the momentum of the mirror/ship, etc...).
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 08:40
    well you can consider it in terms of momentumn or kinetic energy. or both to check you are internally consistent. you should get the same answer either way.
  9. Joined
    17 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '06 04:13
    Ok Boss man, Mr gooogalyfgee.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree