1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 05:061 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Then what didn't you understand about my previous post???
    I want to know how you will go about constructing your triangle using three chicken eggs.
  2. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 06:00
    Depends if you are a topologist or not
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 07:391 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I want to know how you will go about constructing your triangle using three chicken eggs.
    place the two fat ends together at an acute angle. Place the 3rd egg in between the gap allowing for overlap.

next crack the eggs and place into a bowl sans shells.
    Add one cup of milk.
    Dab fresh bread in to the mixture and place into a fry pan.

Makes approx 4 French toast.

Enjoy!
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 08:37
    Originally posted by uzless
    place the two fat ends together at an acute angle. Place the 3rd egg in between the gap allowing for overlap.

next crack the eggs and place into a bowl sans shells.
    Add one cup of milk.
    Dab fresh bread in to the mixture and place into a fry pan.

Makes approx 4 French toast.

Enjoy!
    I usually cut my pieces of French toast along the diagonals so that I am left with...triangles. It all makes perfect sense now.
  5. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 06:23
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    Congratulations people who got 25%

And well done to those who didn't; your effort is appreciated and your courage to post a wrong answer in front of millions online is respectable.

The cuts are made INDEPENDENTLY of each other, so there's no need to say you have 1-x of a stick left, as you can make the second cut on the bit you broke off.

For ...[text shortened]... side and the second cut cannot be more than half way from the opposit side.

=0.5^2

=0.25
    I'm still confused, where in my reasoning did I go wrong?

If you cut a 1 metre stick at 5 cm from one end and then cut in the 5 cm bit again, you cannot make a triangle with the ends meeting.

Or am I mistaken in the given that the ends should meet?

😕
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 08:501 edit
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    I'm still confused, where in my reasoning did I go wrong?

If you cut a 1 metre stick at 5 cm from one end and then cut in the 5 cm bit again, you cannot make a triangle with the ends meeting.

Or am I mistaken in the given that the ends should meet?

😕
    You're right about that part. Where your argument went wrong was where you said "The chance to snap the stick in the longer part is 1 - a/b. You will always be able to make a triangle in this case."

That's not true. Cut your stick 5cm from one end, then cut the 95cm bit 5cm from the end - you can't make a triangle. You need the longest piece to be less than 50cm - so you've only got a 5cm range where it will work (almost in the middle of the long piece).

We need to end up integrating x instead of (1 - x). Other than that your method is sound.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree