1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Aug '06 02:16
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    How do you measure skin depth? Introducing a metre of any type will disrupt it.
    Well one approach would be empirical, make thinner and thinner conductors and cram as much current down it as possible before magnetic pinch effects block superconductivity. Skin effect would show up that way. On thing about skin effect, which you of course know, its much more prominant at high frequencies although even at 50 or 60 Hz there is enough to effect the design of power transmission cables.
    I tried to find articles about skin effect in super's but all google would come up with was physical review work that I didn't have subscription to. If I remember right, there still is skin effect at DC but couldn't find a referance to it. Did you see the recent work on how superconductivity can extend itself into normal conductors a micron or so, effectively increasing the maximum current capability? A kind of phonon effect I think or surface plasmon similar to light propogation through small orifaces.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree