1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    20 May '07 12:50
    The integration sign in calculus and the summation sign both are stylized versions of what common symbol?
  2. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    20 May '07 13:01
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The integration sign in calculus and the summation sign both are stylized versions of what common symbol?
    I assume you pose this question for non-mathematicianS?
  3. Montgomery
    Moves
    20 May '07 13:31
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    I would guesS you are correct in that assumption...
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    20 May '07 13:461 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The greek letter sigma? Or epsilon? It would help if I knew greek...
  5. Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 May '07 16:10
    greek letter sigma.
  6. Joined
    17 Mar '07
    Moves
    20 May '07 16:54
    That's sort of a stretch, though. The integral sign isn't a sigma, it's an S. A lowercase sigma looks like an S, but only when it's at the end of a word; more to the point, Leibniz, who came up with this notation, was surely thinking of the Latin alphabet. He used d for derivatives, after all.
  7. Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 May '07 16:57
    Originally posted by CZeke
    That's sort of a stretch, though. The integral sign isn't a sigma, it's an S. A lowercase sigma looks like an S, but only when it's at the end of a word; more to the point, Leibniz, who came up with this notation, was surely thinking of the Latin alphabet. He used d for derivatives, after all.
    but still, it's sigma - upper case for the summation and lower for integral. Yeah, it looks like latin s, but can be also read as greek letter.
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    20 May '07 23:50
    Originally posted by Allderdice
    but still, it's sigma - upper case for the summation and lower for integral. Yeah, it looks like latin s, but can be also read as greek letter.
    what's the delta?
  9. Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 May '07 00:33
    uppercase delta looks loke a triangle with one side extended and is a symbol for difference in conditions (e. g. final-initial), lowercase delta is like an "o" with a '~' on top of it and a lone connecting the two. It's also used to show the difference, but only in chemistry - it shows, which end of a molecule is polar + and which is polar -. The uppercase is used mostly in physics.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    21 May '07 01:02
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    Yeah, I suppose I did.
  11. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    21 May '07 01:57
    Originally posted by coquette
    what's the delta?
    I hope you are not like the coquette in Moliere's Misanthrope, Celimene, the girl who drives me, Alceste to want to leave the world.
  12. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    21 May '07 04:12
    Originally posted by Allderdice
    uppercase delta looks loke a triangle with one side extended and is a symbol for difference in conditions (e. g. final-initial), lowercase delta is like an "o" with a '~' on top of it and a lone connecting the two. It's also used to show the difference, but only in chemistry - it shows, which end of a molecule is polar + and which is polar -. The uppercase is used mostly in physics.
    Actually, my question was a joke. "What's the delta?" Greek, delta, difference, differential. (sigh)
  13. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    21 May '07 04:13
    Originally posted by demonseed
    I hope you are not like the coquette in Moliere's Misanthrope, Celimene, the girl who drives me, Alceste to want to leave the world.
    sure, monsieur, you stand too close, but you may have my hand, si vous pleas
  14. Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 May '07 10:30
    Originally posted by coquette
    Actually, my question was a joke. "What's the delta?" Greek, delta, difference, differential. (sigh)
    😳

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree