1. Joined
    10 Aug '04
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 12:26
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I think I've got something. You definitely want to go first and place a coin in the centre of the table. On all your subsequent turns, you place your coin opposite your opponent's coin on the same diameter. To be a bit clearer:

Let "O" be the centre of the table (where the first coin was placed)
    Let "A" be your opponent's coin
    Let "B" be your c ...[text shortened]... lacing your coin in the centre avoids this problem, and ensures you always follow your opponent.
    Nothing matters after you put the first coin down deadcenter. Wherever your opponent places his coin after that you can always put your coin in a place mirroring where he put his.. This also mean that the numer of coins you could place in the circle is always an odd number.
  2. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 17:39
    Originally posted by chasparos
    Nothing matters after you put the first coin down deadcenter. Wherever your opponent places his coin after that you can always put your coin in a place mirroring where he put his.. This also mean that the numer of coins you could place in the circle is always an odd number.
    There are an infinite number of ways to implement the "mirroring" strategy, but I thought it would be clearest if I explained it using a diameter, as that is the closest "mirror" to the mirroring strategy.

It does matter what you do after you place the first coin, because it is conceivable that by proper placement you could eliminate spots for subsequent coins, thereby changing the parity (eveness/oddness) of the number of coins ultimately placed on the table, thereby losing the game when you could have won.
  3. Joined
    09 Feb '05
    Moves
    23 Oct '05 20:14
    and be sure at the end to headbutt the guy and rush off with all of the coins.
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 20:491 edit
    How about if you are placing your (sticky) coins on the surface of a sphere. Should you go first or second?
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 21:29
    I think 2nd. Just place coins opposite where the other guy did.
    What if the table is an equilateral triangle?
  6. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 22:39
    You guys should work for Parker Brothers.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 20:02
    Parker Brothers are?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree