Taking off into space from a dense planet:

Taking off into space from a dense planet:

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
If you'd read the future postings in this thread I'm sure that you would answer differently... 😵
And if I saw my opponents future moves I'd play differently 😉

F

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by wolfgang59
And if I saw my opponents future moves I'd play differently 😉
Touchée! 🙂

T

Moves
13 Apr 08

If you just lift of the ground you don't have to do anything differently than a normal liftoff. If you have just for arguments sake infinite fuel so you can take your time lifting of basically. Then you could wait until the force your ship can produce is just greater than the gravity at that time. So your acceleration is just >0.

How big this is should not be hard to calculate. (I quit doing calc's when i quit uni ;p)

But the more interesting thing is the effects that a shrinking planet would produce. First thing i thought about was energy loss in form of like heat from radiation and or ground being unstable and such.

How would a shrinking planet behave?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Apr 08

Originally posted by Tera
If you just lift of the ground you don't have to do anything differently than a normal liftoff. If you have just for arguments sake infinite fuel so you can take your time lifting of basically. Then you could wait until the force your ship can produce is just greater than the gravity at that time. So your acceleration is just >0.

How big this is should not b ...[text shortened]... from radiation and or ground being unstable and such.

How would a shrinking planet behave?
The first thing you could say for sure is the gravity on the surface would increase the smaller the size the mass became, we are assuming the mass would stay the same. The second thing you could say for sure is the whole thing would be heating up and if there were an atmosphere, there would be mighty storms for sure.