Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. In your face
    Joined
    21 Aug '04
    Moves
    55993
    12 Jul '05 23:18
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    If you differentiate e^x wiith respect to x it remains unaffected.
    That is, letting y = e^x, dy/dx = e^x
    But d(e^x)/dy = dy/dy = 1
    e^x has been changed into a constant.
    Differentiation, integration and exponentials etc are what put me off mathematics forever. Until then I had a reasonably good concept and feel for the subject. But at this point I stopped being able to build a mental picture of what it was about. I must be a thick c888 or something.
    Anyways, I shall tell it to my brother. He has a PhD in Mathematics. That will be the true acid test as to whether it is funny or not. 😛
  2. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Joined
    17 Mar '05
    Moves
    1345
    12 Jul '05 23:30
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Differentiation, integration and exponentials etc are what put me off mathematics forever. Until then I had a reasonably good concept and feel for the subject. But at this point I stopped being able to build a mental picture of what it was about. I must be a thick c888 or something.
    Anyways, I shall tell it to my brother. He has a PhD in Mathematics. That will be the true acid test as to whether it is funny or not. 😛
    Don't worry. One only really needs algebra anyway. And that can be largely intuitive, if that's the right word.
  3. In your face
    Joined
    21 Aug '04
    Moves
    55993
    13 Jul '05 00:131 edit
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Don't worry. One only really needs algebra anyway. And that can be largely intuitive, if that's the right word.
    Cheers for the words of encouragement but I suppose that all depends on what you want to do with it. Just lucky I don't want to be a programmer really. 😲
  4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Joined
    17 Mar '05
    Moves
    1345
    13 Jul '05 00:43
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Cheers for the words of encouragement but I suppose that all depends on what you want to do with it. Just lucky I don't want to be a programmer really. 😲
    I managed to write programs using O-level maths.
  5. In your face
    Joined
    21 Aug '04
    Moves
    55993
    13 Jul '05 00:57
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    I managed to write programs using O-level maths.
    I got an A in GCSE maths but I wouldn't say i was anywhere near O level standard. My Brother had an O level maths exercise book from 1969, that he acqured from my Grand Ma. He had serious difficulties solving the problems in it whilst he was at A level standard in 1990.
  6. Non-Sub Recs: 0
    Joined
    08 Apr '05
    Moves
    455
    13 Jul '05 12:46
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    But his original post didn't even contain a question mark.
    So he must be kindly telling us that a person called Ever heard of the Fibonacci sequence, right? 😵

    Therefore, in order to give this thread a raison d'etre, here is a joke:

    e^x is walking down the road one day when he meets several other functions coming the other way. One of them ...[text shortened]... Hi, I'm e^x"

    "Hello," replied the differential, grinning broadly, "I'm d/dy"


    d/dy could not split e^x.
    e^x is a real tough guy.
    To d/dy's dismay, all it can do is put e^x under the table---to try to humiliate e^x.
    e^x just keeps laughing down there.

    y = e^x

    d/dx y = d/dx e^x
    dy/dx = e^x ------nothing doing.

    d/dy y = d/dy e^x
    dy/dy = e^x dx/dy
    1 = e^x dx/dy
    dx/dy = 1 / e^x -----underneath, but still intact.
  7. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Joined
    17 Mar '05
    Moves
    1345
    13 Jul '05 15:40
    Originally posted by phgao
    d/dy could not split e^x.
    e^x is a real tough guy.
    To d/dy's dismay, all it can do is put e^x under the table---to try to humiliate e^x.
    e^x just keeps laughing down there.

    y = e^x

    d/dx y = d/dx e^x
    dy/dx = e^x ------nothing doing.

    d/dy y = d/dy e^x
    dy/dy = e^x dx/dy
    1 = e^x dx/dy
    dx/dy = 1 / e^x -----underneath, but still intact.
    Amusing, but it lacks a punchline.
  8. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    15 Jul '05 14:32
    Originally posted by phgao
    d/dy could not split e^x.
    e^x is a real tough guy.
    To d/dy's dismay, all it can do is put e^x under the table---to try to humiliate e^x.
    e^x just keeps laughing down there.

    y = e^x

    d/dx y = d/dx e^x
    dy/dx = e^x ------nothing doing.

    d/dy y = d/dy e^x
    dy/dy = e^x dx/dy
    1 = e^x dx/dy
    dx/dy = 1 / e^x -----underneath, but still intact.
    y = e^x
    dy/dx = e^x
    dx/dy = e^-x
    Fair enough.

    But we re not differentiating x wrt y
    We are differentiating e^x wrt y
    Having done so, we get a constant (1)
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    20 Jul '05 16:07
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    What's the square root of 69?

    Eight something...
    BTW the full equation for that is:

    B4IFQRU/18 = 69^0.5
  10. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    20 Jul '05 16:581 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    BTW the full equation for that is:

    B4IFQRU/18 = 69^0.5
    18? You are almost normal.
    I remember B4Iroot(U)RU/16

    I guess we Brits are just more liberal than you homebred Yankees.
  11. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Joined
    26 May '04
    Moves
    25780
    21 Jul '05 13:18
    I heard a really funny (to a maths geek) story about little Polly Nomial once, and how she lost her convergency. It's probably rolling around the internet somewhere if I can be bothered...

    ...ah yes, here's a version. It was funnier when read aloud with lots of meaningful pauses.

    http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/joke/polly.htm
  12. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Joined
    14 Feb '04
    Moves
    28719
    21 Jul '05 14:31
    Originally posted by orfeo
    I heard a really funny (to a maths geek) story about little Polly Nomial once, and how she lost her convergency. It's probably rolling around the internet somewhere if I can be bothered...

    ...ah yes, here's a version. It was funnier when read aloud with lots of meaningful pauses.

    http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/joke/polly.htm
    That's a fcuked up story. It's about a function being raped and getting pregnant, no? And the cautionary at the end is to keep your kids locked up forever. It was probably funnier in the 50's, although I will say the language was cleverly used.
Back to Top